Inova Well is seeking a PRN Childbirth Educator is to inform and empower new and expectant parents through evidence-based perinatal health education. In this role, the childbirth educator provides important information (according to their area of expertise) as families prepare for birth, newborn care, and/or breastfeeding. By providing an excellent educational experience the childbirth educator plays a critical role in Inova's mission of improving the health of the communities we serve.
As a Childbirth Educator. You must be able to teach a minimum of 25 hours per quarter and be available to teach weeknights between 5pm and 9pm and weekends between 9am – 4pm; minimum 3 hrs per shift.
- Provides instruction based on specified Inova Well program curriculum.
- Demonstrates expert knowledge of pregnancy, childbirth, newborn care, breastfeeding, and postpartum health during educational programs. Responds accurately and appropriately to participant questions and issues.
- Demonstrates use of excellent, highly specialized instructional skill, including research based teaching strategies and learning methodologies when providing education.
- Appropriately utilizes education materials and audio/visual learning aids to enhance program effectiveness.
- Demonstrates ability to apply research and standards as issues emerge during learning situation.
- Demonstrates understanding of and ability to review class rosters and appropriately plan activities for class participants.
- Gathers and communicates participant and site contact feedback to the program manager.
- Obtains and returns necessary supplies, equipment in a timely manner. Completes and delivers all paperwork in a timely manner.
- 1 year teaching experience preferred.
- Associates Degree: Associates in nursing preferred.
- Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator (ICEA, CAPPA and other Childbirth Education Certifications also considered. If Registered Nurse do not need these certifications.
- BLS – American Heart Association within 3 months of hire
- Lactation certification preferred