Respiratory Therapist 3 Wkend Prem
As a Respiratory Therapist 3 Weekend Premium, you will administer advanced respiratory care therapeutics and diagnostic services with a high level of skill and proficiency. To help achieve our mission, you will routinely integrate knowledge, skills and experience to promote optimum patient care. Assuming responsibility for self-development through continuing education pathways is expected. Your ability to utilize standards, guidelines, protocols and pathways for optimal care delivery is of vital importance. Incorporating data and information to continually improve care/practice to enhance outcomes is essential. Working effectively and appropriately while communicating with other healthcare team members, patients and families is required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs weaning mechanics as ordered with high proficiency in more than 90 percent of ventilator patients cared for.
- Reviews the need for continuing ventilator support (i.e. spontaneous breathing trial, weaning) in more than 95 percent of patients cared for with a high degree of proficiency on a daily basis.
- Routinely develops or refines ventilator care plans and communicates to patient care teams.
- Performs tests, collects specimens in addition to dating, validating and interpreting basic/complex diagnostic testing (e.g. bronchoscopy samples, complex PFT's).
- Validates the quality of the results with high proficiency and minimal supervision. Formulates a respiratory care plan for almost all patients based on patient diagnostic data, response to therapy and physiological profiles. Integrates respiratory care plans into patients' complete care plans. Establishes and recommends therapeutic interventions (e.g. contacting physicians or care teams) with high proficiency and with minimal supervision.
- Uses effective time management in work organization and triaging. Consistently handles shift assignments without complaints or interventions. With consideration for work assignments, routinely completes work assignments without assistance. Consistently meets established productivity standards. Consistently performs thorough/advanced cardiopulmonary clinical assessments with appropriate inclusion of other systems (e.g. cardiovascular, nutritional, neurological, etc.).
- Administers basic and advanced respiratory therapeutic interventions (e.g., heliox, nitric oxide, CNB Chest Wall Oscillation, etc.) with high proficiency and minimal supervision. Establishes and manages basic/complex forms of mechanical ventilation (e.g., HFO, NPPV, PRVC, transport) with high proficiency and minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates proficiency in operating all mechanical ventilators.
- Successfully completes at least 16 mandatory continuing education units, as well as 16 nonmandatory continuing education units, and provides documented evidence to the department for the evaluation year. Successfully completes all departmental, hospital and system competencies required for job category within designated timeframes. Supports the advancement of the respiratory care profession by participating in at least two system, hospital, department or professional initiatives (i.e. policies/procedures, research, formal in-service training, skills lab, competencies, etc.) during the evaluation year.
- Utilizes standards, guidelines, protocols, and pathways for optimal care delivery. Incorporates data and information to continually improve care and practice to enhance outcomes.
- Applies departmental protocols and clinical practice guidelines with high precision and compliance when indicated and does so without supervision. Routinely applies new techniques and procedures with high proficiency within 30 days of training/orientation. Instructs staff on quality improvement (QI) processes. Meets Clinical Ladder criteria by participating in required elective (i.e. quality and/or clinical) pathways.
- Routinely records data for the QI processes within the department (i.e. SBT screening, ARDS/ALI screening, PDP bronchodilator assessment).
- If applicable, takes active role in data capturing and analysis. Is actively involved with learning and statistical analysis.
- Takes a proactive role in all aspects of training. Is actively involved in staff education, orientation and student clinical time. Teaches more than one in-service topic to staff each year. Develops and refines individual techniques. Documents more than 95 percent of care provided with a high degree of accuracy in more than 95 percent of patients cared for.
- Documents according to protocols and/or charting templates. Provides educational training to patients and/or family members as appropriate.
- Consistently communicates accurate therapeutic and patient information with healthcare team members on care plans and does so in a manner consistent with Inova Health System's standards. Actively seeks ways to assist other members of the healthcare team. Receives at least one validated commendation from co-workers, physicians, nurses, and supervisor during the evaluation year. Has no substantiated complaints from staff/co-workers during the evaluation year
- Minimum Respiratory Therapy Graduate of an accredited CoARC (The Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care) respiratory care program.
Years of Experience
- Minimum 2 years of critical care experience
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT).
- Possess one of the following advanced certifications (ACLS, PALS or NRP) or an Advanced Credential (ACCS, AEC, NPS, RPFT, CPFT or SDS) or a relevant bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum Basic Life Support Upon Start Licensure
- Licensed Respiratory Therapist Upon Start Licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia as a Respiratory Therapist.