Speech Pathologist- adult outpatient
Inova Fair Oaks Hospital is a top-ranked acute care community hospital serving the rapidly growing suburbs of Northern Virginia. We are committed to providing safe care, excellent service and continuously striving to improve each patient's unique experience. We are proud to have been named one of the Nation's 100 Top Hospitals by Truven Health Analytics four times.
We are in need of a SPEECH LANGUAGE PATHOLOGIST, 30 hours a week, to join our outstanding team in an OUTPATIENT ADULT NEUROLOGICAL SETTING! Our interdisciplinary team is passionate and engaged, we are focused on learning new approaches and techniques to treating our patients.As a Speech Pathologist, you will adhere to department policies regarding timeframe, form/content of written evaluations, progress notes and discharge summaries. To help achieve our mission, you will communicate effectively with patients, families, medical staff, healthcare team members, students, supervisors and outside contacts. Completing all administrative and other responsibilities in support of the operating unit while demonstrating essential skill competencies in the use of treatment modalities, equipment and protocols is of vital importance.
- Documents evaluation results clearly and completely while including all essential elements according to department policy.
- Completes daily progress notes that reflect patients' responses to treatment, actual performance, assessment as to status relevant to the treatment plans, discharge needs and treatment summaries if needed. Completes discharge notes that include a summary of the course of treatment, progress toward goals, discharge needs, recommendations for follow-up and patient and/or family education. Documents clearly, concisely and legibly within established timeframes (e.g. allows other Therapists to continue treatment, allows for interpretation by payers and supports reimbursement). Documents evidence of patient, family and caregiver education.
- Contacts families, Physicians or other healthcare team members in anticipation of special needs of patients/families in a timely manner to facilitate effective treatment plans. Provides educational materials and methods appropriate to patients' level of understanding and motivation.
- Includes families/caregivers in education and training as appropriate.
- Demonstrates collaboration in communication with team members while being open to feedback and receptive to change. Gives appropriate instruction and supervision to assistive personnel consistent with program/clinic policies and regulatory requirements.
- Maintains productivity standards set by department/clinic and makes efficient use of non-billable time while minimizing the use of non-billable time. Consistently completes routine administrative responsibilities within established timeframes (e.g. time cards, coverage notes and charge entry). Contributes to the educational efforts of the department/clinic (e.g. in-services, students, CPR, new hire orientation, QI). Assumes leadership roles in committees, department processes and special projects in accordance with clinical expertise and individual performance plans Demonstrates fiscal responsibility and knowledge about supplies, equipment, billing and staff resources used in the department.
Education: M.S. in Speech Pathology
Certification: BLS through American Heart Association (AHA)
Licensure: VA License required
Special Skills: Basic computer knowledge, proficient in English verbal and written skill
Experience with Video Swallow Studies (MBSS & FEES) preferred
Background in treating Head and Neck Cancer a plus