This trial will evaluate the safety and efficacy of pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in combination with platinum doublet neoadjuvant chemotherapy (NAC) before surgery [neoadjuvant phase], followed by pembrolizumab alone after surgery [adjuvant phase] in participants with resectable stage IIB or IIIA non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). The primary hypotheses of this study are that neoadjuvant pembrolizumab (vs. placebo) in combination with NAC, followed by surgery and adjuvant pembrolizumab (vs. placebo) will improve: 1) event free survival (EFS) by biopsy assessed by blinded central pathologist or by imaging using Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors Version 1.1 (RECIST 1.1) assessed by blinded independent central review (BICR); and 2) overall survival (OS).
Inova Schar Cancer Institute
8081 Innovation Park Drive
Fairfax, VA 22031
A department of Inova Fairfax Hospital
- Have previously untreated, histologically confirmed NSCLC and histologically confirmed Stage IIB or IIIA NSCLC.
- Be able to undergo protocol therapy, including necessary surgery.
- If male, must agree to use contraception or practice abstinence as well as refrain from donating sperm for at least 180 days after the last dose of study treatment.
- If female, may participate if not pregnant, not breastfeeding, and at least one of the following conditions apply: 1) not a woman of childbearing potential (WOCBP); or 2) a WOCBP who agrees to follow contraceptive guidance during the treatment period and for at least 180 days after the last dose of study treatment.
- Have available formalin-fixed paraffin embedded (FFPE) tumor tissue sample blocks for submission. If blocks are not available, have unstained slides for submission for central programmed death-ligand 1 (PD-L1) testing.
- Have an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status of 0 to 1 within 10 days of randomization.
- Have adequate organ function.
- Has one of the following tumor locations/types:1) NSCLC involving the superior sulcus; 2) Large cell neuro-endocrine cancer (LCNEC); or 3) Sarcomatoid tumor.
- Has a history of (non-infectious) pneumonitis /interstitial lung disease that required steroids or has current pneumonitis/interstitial lung disease that requires steroids.
- Has an active infection requiring systemic therapy.
- Has had an allogenic tissue/sold organ transplant.
- Has a known severe hypersensitivity (≥ Grade 3) to pembrolizumab, its active substance and/or any of its excipients.
- Has a known severe hypersensitivity (≥ Grade 3) to any of the study chemotherapy agents and/or to any of their excipients.
- Has an active autoimmune disease that has required systemic treatment in past 2 years.
- Has a known history of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
- Has a known history of Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C.
- Has a known history of active tuberculosis.
- Has a history or current evidence of any condition, therapy, or laboratory abnormality that might confound the results of the trial, interfere with the participant's participation for the full duration of the trial, or is not in the best interest of the participant to participate.
- Additional ineligibility in protocol.
Additional information can be found at https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03425643