The Inova PGY2 ambulatory care residency program was started in 2018 as a partnership with Shenandoah University School of Pharmacy.
We provide clinical and administrative training for pharmacists suitable for entry into a patient care role as a clinical pharmacist and to sit for board certification. Training opportunities include but are not limited to: primary care, clinically integrated network, specialty pharmacy, cardiology, endocrinology, oncology, administration, academia, and transitions of care.
Inova Health System is a fully integrated health system with a strong clinically integrated network of physicians, robust population health management programs, and a joint-ventured health plan with Aetna called Innovation Health.
Residents are also given the opportunity to develop and enhance their practice management and leadership skills through focused departmental responsibilities.
Areas of experience will include, but will not be limited to:
- Direct patient care in our ambulatory facilities
- Provision of drug information to members of the medical, nursing, and pharmacy staff
- Participation in quality initiatives designed to improve the medication use process, and the costs associated
- Development of a residency research project, including preparation of a manuscript for publication
- Presentation of a seminar, a complicated patient case, and journal clubs to members of the pharmacy staff
- Participation in the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee and Ambulatory Sub-Committee, and formulary management activities including preparation of formulary monographs and medication use evaluations
- Staffing at our retail and specialty pharmacies
Residency Program Overview
List of Rotations Available
- Primary Care
- Inpatient Internal Medicine
- Transitions of Care
- Pharmacy Administration
- Practice Management
- Infectious Disease - HIV
- Specialty Pharmacy
Inova Health System is also a teaching facility, partnering with several programs including medical, nursing, and pharmacy schools.
The Shenandoah University School of Pharmacy has a satellite campus located near our main system offices.
Available Teaching & Learning Curriculum Program:
- Attend pedagogy seminars regarding teaching strategies
- Prepare and present at least two didactic lectures
- Facilitate small group discussions
- Develop a teaching philosophy
- Develop a teaching portfolio