Why choose Inova Fairfax Hospital for Joint Replacment?
- Inova Fairfax Hospital is one of the largest joint replacement centers in Northern Virginia, performing more than 800 joint replacement procedures annually.
- Integration of industry-leading best practices has increasingly enabled us to decrease the length of time our patients must spend in the hospital.
- Many of our surgeons use minimally invasive techniques and approaches using small incisions and minimal muscle disruption for smoother recovery and better outcomes.
- All of our joint surgeons see their patients daily and follow their progress throughout their stay in the hospital.
- Our Joint Camp features private rooms dedicated exclusively to joint replacement patients.
What is Joint Replacement?
Joint replacement surgery involves the removal and replacement of an arthritic or damaged joint with an artificial joint that looks and function much like a normal joint.
Who Should Get Joint Replacement?
Joint replacement surgery should be considered after all non-surgical treatments have been exhausted. Joints may need to be replaced for a number of medical reasons.
Possible Reasons Why Joint Replacement May Be Recommended:
- Arthritis in its different forms (arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis) can break down the integrity of the joint, causing pain, stiffness and inflammation
- Bone disease such as osteonecrosis can result in loss of blood supply to the bone
- Trauma caused by a fracture or dislocations
- Failed or infected replacements from prior procedures, which may require revision surgery
"Every patient needs a little bit different touch to help them get through their journey ... There is nothing else I would rather do in my life ... I really enjoy helping the patients; I especially help restoring their function and returning to a normal, physical life.” - Dr. Mark Theiss
General Orthopedics in Northern Virginia
If you are looking for a general orthopedic specialist, please visit our Inova Orthopedics website. This physician practice employs an expert group of orthopedic physicians and surgeons who handle arthroscopic surgery; sports injuries; traumatic orthopedic injuries; hip, knee and shoulder joint replacements; complex orthopedic fractures and more.