Inova is pleased to offer our patients acupuncture treatments in Northern Virginia. Our offices are conveniently located in Falls Church (at the Inova Center for Personalized Health, across from Inova Fairfax Medical Campus) and in Landsdowne (on the Inova Loudoun Hospital campus).
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture, one of the most popular traditional Chinese medicine treatments, is the insertion of needles into superficial structures of the body (skin, subcutaneous tissue, muscles); usually at acupuncture points (acupoints) and their subsequent manipulation; aiming at influencing the flow of qi. Acupuncture is a complementary health approach informed by modern medicine but built on a foundation of more than 3,000 years of Chinese medical practice.
Benefits of Acupuncture
- Release pain naturally
- Safe and almost no side effects
- Cost effective – lower cost compared to other treatment options
- Effective for a variety of conditions
- Can treat multiple conditions at the same time; no need to schedule appointments with multiple specialists (for example, it is common practice to treat a patient's knee pain and low back pain during the same treatment)
- A Centers for Disease Control study in 2008 showed that approximately 40% of the U.S. population has used some form of alternative medicine, with 629 million visits to those providers annually
How Does Acupuncture Work?
Instead of placing emphasis on anatomical structures, traditional Chinese medicine is mainly concerned with the identification of functional entities (which regulate such processes as digestion, breathing, or aging). If "good health" is perceived as the harmonious interaction between these entities and the outside world, disease is perceived as a person's natural processes being in disharmony with their environment. When making a diagnosis, a provider's goal is to trace the patient's symptoms to patterns of an underlying disharmony. This will be done by measuring your pulse, discussing your eating and sleeping habits in detail, and inspecting your tongue, skin, and eyes, in addition to other diagnostic modalities.
Conditions Treated by Acupuncture
Acupuncture is recognized by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the World Health Organization (WHO) to have a role in the treatment of a wide variety of medical problems. The NIH-recognized list of conditions treated include:
- Addictions: Tobacco/cigarette smoking, narcotics and alcohol
- Arthritis and Orthopedics: Muscle, bone and nerve pain and diseases
- Digestive: Disorders including reflux, hyperacidity, diarrhea, constipation, nausea and vomiting, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Heart and Vascular: Diseases of the heart and blood vessels including angina and hypertension
- Nervous System: Stroke, neuralgia, stress, anxiety, depression and other nervous disorders
- Obesity and Weight Gain
- Obstetrics and Gynecology: Menstrual pain and cramping, PMS, menopausal symptoms, infertility and fetal malposition
- Respiratory: Allergies, asthma, bronchitis and sinusitis
- Other Conditions: Headaches/migraines, sexual dysfunction, asthma, allergies, tinnitus, high blood pressure and more
- Pain Management: Our clinic specializes in pain management for cancer patients