Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program Format
Inova's AACVPR Certified Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program includes the following components:
- Therapeutic exercise
- Psychosocial intervention
- Long-term adherence plan
Our experienced team includes registered respiratory therapists, nurses, exercise physiologists and registered dietitians who work together to develop an individualized program for your unique needs.
The following chart outlines the primary program by location. Fairfax also offers specialty pulmonary rehabilitation programs, as detailed below.
|Program Duration||12 weeks||9 weeks||9 weeks|
|Session Frequency||2-3 days/week||3 days/week||2-3 days/week|
|Session Format||1 hour exercise
Built-in education component.
|1 hour exercise
45 minute group education session once/week.
|1 hour exercise
Group education session once/week.
Focuses on teaching
- Breathing techniques
- Understanding of your lung disease
- Infection prevention
- Proper use of medications
- Oxygen therapy
- Dietary needs for lung patients
- Stress management
- Energy conservation
- Fall Prevention
- Healthy sleep habits
- Understanding pulmonary function and six minute walk test results
- Advanced directives
Focuses on aerobic exercise, upper and lower body training to improve activities of daily living, strength training, flexibility, and endurance. Coaching you to optimize your breathing with exercise.
You will work with clinicians to develop an individualized exercise program and undergo a series of one-hour exercise sessions, multiple times a week for the duration of the treatment program.
*Inova Fairfax Hospital – Specialty Pulmonary Rehabilitation Programs
The pulmonary rehabilitation program at Inova Fairfax Hospital serves as the standard for pulmonary rehabilitation in the United States, offering specialty programs to meet the needs of our patients, including:
- Bronchiectasis Program: For airway clearance training.
- BreathFree2Smoking Cessation Program: $45 for a total of 9 sessions offered on Monday/Wednesday from 5 – 6:30 p.m. and Tuesday/Thursday from 7 – 8 a.m.
- Cystic Fibrosis Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program: Following Cystic Fibrosis Foundation infection prevention guidelines.
- Pre-Surgical Program: Scheduled as needed, for pre-operative pulmonary hygiene techniques to include: incentive spirometry, positive expiratory pressure therapy, cough training and splinting.
Long Term Pulmonary Wellness Program
After graduating from the comprehensive pulmonary rehabilitation program, you may enroll in our self-pay group exercise program, which is offered at all three locations:
|12 visits: $171.00
24 visits: $334.00
36 visits: $496.00
|Listed lung transplant patient exercise – for high flow oxygen patients.
8:00 am – 9:00 am.
Tuesday and Friday
$120 for 8 sessions
Inova Center for Personalized Health
Exercise for Life Program
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday
$130 per month
|24 visits $350|