Once you are accepted as a transplant candidate and listed as a donor recipient, the wait begins. The average waiting time at Inova Fairfax Hospital for a lung transplant is 45 to 90 days, well below the national average.
We understand that waiting for a transplant is a stressful time. The lung transplant team is readily available to provide whatever support and assistance you need.
You can help facilitate the transplantation process by meeting these important requirements:
- Be available by phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Remain within a 4-hour drive to Inova Fairfax Hospital
- Contact the transplant coordinator as soon as possible if becoming ill, hospitalized or unavailable for any reason
- Continue pulmonary rehabilitation three days per week
Our commitment to you and your family remains steadfast during your waiting time. You can be certain that your lung transplant team will:
- Remain in close contact with you and your physicians and monitor your medical condition every 1-2 months
- Regularly discuss any psychosocial, financial, physical or emotional concerns you have throughout this time period
- Provide access to social workers, monthly support groups and the resources of the Advanced Lung Disease Program to assist in coping and alleviating the stress associated with your condition.