Inova wants to keep you safe and provide you with excellent care. To ensure effective communication, Inova will make interpreters available at no cost to you. Let us know if you need assistance with communication due to hearing, vision and/or speech impairments, or if you want to communicate with your providers in a language other than English. Our healthcare team respects the unique attributes of our patients and families and we promote quality care that is sensitive to all patients' needs.
Interpreters and auxiliary aids
The Language Services Program at Inova provides professional medical Interpreters to patients and their companions who are limited-English-proficient or who are deaf. Interpreters are available 24/7 to all patients and families for appointments, procedures and hospital stays. There is no cost to patients or families for interpretation at the hospital.
The hospital provides appropriate auxiliary aids free of charge, including: TTYs, written materials, telephone handset amplifiers, assistive listening devices and systems, telephones compatible with hearing aides, closed caption decoders, and open and closed captioning of most hospital programs.
How do I get an interpreter?
- When scheduling your hospital appointment or service, if not asked, please let us know that you need interpreter services
- When you come to the hospital, tell a hospital staff member if you need an interpreter
- Our staff collectively speaks more than 40 languages and dialects. Your provider can locate Volunteer Interpreters who are Inova employees and volunteers and who have been screened and trained as medical interpreters. They can be identified by their lapel pin or your provider can look them up by facility and language in our Language Bank or by asking the hospital operators.
- Spanish staff interpreters are available onsite, Monday through Friday
- Every department has a telephonic interpreter service that provides immediate interpretation for more than 100 languages and dialects
Hearing and vision impaired services
Watch our video on Remote Video Sign Language Interpreting
- For the vision impaired, ask about the availability of Braille. Also, important forms can be read aloud to the patient
- Remote Video Sign Language Interpreting supports the need for immediate communication with patients who are deaf, and their companions
- Sign Language Interpreters — all service requests are initiated by your Inova provider by calling Inova Sign Language Scheduling, available 24/7
For additional assistance, please contact the Patient Relations Department at 703-391-3885 or 703-391-3607.