Learn more about the history of Inova Alexandria Hospital . In 1872, Julia Johns and other community members formed the Alexandria Infirmary Association, which later became Alexandria Hospital – the first full-service hospital in Northern Virginia. In 1894, the Nurses Training School was established. By 1900, a dispensary was opened, marking the beginning of outpatient care.
Sixty years later in 1961, Alexandria Hospital set the standard in emergency medicine by becoming the first hospital to staff its emergency department with full-time physicians 24 hours a day.
In 1962, the hospital moved to its current location on Seminary Road. It occupied five sites previous to this move. In March 1997, Alexandria Hospital became part of Inova.