Back to Inova Neuroscience Institute
Concussion treatment for children and adults
If you think you or your child may have suffered a concussion contact the Inova Concussion Program at 703-776-4700.
If symptoms include changes in alertness, confusion, convulsions, muscle weakness, unequal pupils, balance problems or repeated vomiting, seek medical care right away at a hospital, emergency care center or urgent care center.
Dr. Temitayo Oyegbile and Dr. Robert Najarian discuss symptoms and treatment for concussion
Watch the video
Specialized approach to concussion
Inova Concussion Program uses a personalized, multi-disciplined and collaborative team approach coupled with advanced technology to assist in recovery for mild traumatic brain injury, commonly referred to as a concussion.
Our panel of physician experts includes doctors who sit on the NFL Players Association Mackey-White TBI Committee and other national committees dedicated to the care of TBI and concussion. All physicians and clinical practitioners who provide concussion care are specially trained in the CDC and American Academy of Neurology guidelines for the treatment of mild TBI and concussion.
As the area’s clinical experts, we are the trusted resource for:
- Baseline testing
- Post-injury evaluation
- Medical clearance for return to play
- Assistance in monitoring stages in return to play with family, school, coaches/ athletic trainers
Patients undergo an initial evaluation/consult by a physician to determine a diagnosis and a multi-disciplinary treatment approach. The evaluation includes:
- Review of medical history
- Cognitive screening
- Neurologic assessment
- Balance/vestibular assessment
- Musculoskeletal assessment
- Summary/ recommendations
- Physicians (includes family medicine, internal medicine, neurology and neurosurgery, pediatric neurology, physical medicine and rehabilitation, orthopedics and sports medicine)
- Physical therapists (balance/vestibular rehabilitation)
- Exercise physiologists
- Registered dieticians
- Speech-language pathologists (cognitive specialists)