The IFMC - Fairfax Family Medicine Residency participates in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP). Applications must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS).
Minimum Program Requirements are set by our sponsoring institution, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine. Any acceptance to the program is contingent upon successful completion of medical school and other regulatory requirements.
To be considered for an interview, all applicants must:
- Be enrolled in or have graduated from an accredited medical school within the last four (4) years
- Have passed USMLE Step I or COMLEX Step I (there is no minimum score requirement on exams)
- Hold a valid ECFMG certificate at the time of application (if applicable)
- Be a U.S. Citizen or have Permanent Resident Status at the time of application (we do not sponsor visas of any type)
- Have three months of clinical experience in the United States within the past four years. Clinical observer experiences and non-clinical graduate work such as research do not meet this requirement.
- Have three letters of recommendation from U.S. physicians
- Read, write, and speak fluent English
ERAS applications to the program should include:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Dean’s letter
- Three (3) medical letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement
- ECFMG certificate (International Medical Graduates)
- Official USMLE transcript
The Selection Committee will review all completed applications. Applicants chosen for interview will be notified by e-mail through ERAS.
The Fairfax Family Medicine Residency Program is an equal opportunity employer with a standing policy of nondiscrimination. All qualified persons are accorded an equal opportunity for employment or promotion without regard to race, religion, national origin, disability, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, gender or age, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Upon request, the Fairfax Family Medicine Residency Program will provide reasonable accommodation for religious beliefs and disabling medical conditions. The Fairfax Family Medicine Residency Program will comply with all fair employment laws and will take appropriate measures to eliminate or prevent illegal discrimination.
IFMC - Fairfax Family Medicine Program reserves the right to limit the number of interviews and to change the above requirements.