The goal of the Inova OB-GYN Residency Wellness Program is to promote the health and well-being of our residents. Tools are provided to ingrain lifelong habits that prevent complications of stress and burnout while allowing these young physicians to promote and teach well-being to their patients along their professional journey. Additionally, we aim to create a ‘feeling of community’ within our residency family. The Resident Wellness committee, run by the residents, has created a curriculum that addresses the full spectrum of wellness domains.
Resident Wellness Curriculum
- Mentorship Family lines: contract of confidentially, pairs of PGY1 + PGY 3, PGY 2 + PGY4
- Access to counseling services through Inova Employee Assistance Program 800-346-0110
- Counselor workshops to discuss topics: death and dying: the impact on physicians, power of positive thinking + positive interactions and resilience in residency Financial: Workshops focused on life skills: creating a personal budget, contract reading and job searching, taxes and student loan information payment options
Workshops focused on life skills: creating a personal budget, contract reading and job searching, taxes and student loan information payment options
Three times a year, the residents participate in a resident retreat. This is an opportunity for residents to get to know one another on a more personal level, spend time together outside of the hospital setting, participate in team building activities and have discussions on ways to continue to improve and strengthen the training program. The retreat is fully supported by administration. All residents participate and are excused during clinical activities and responsibilities during this time.
- Calendar for resident events including birthday and life celebrations
- Weddings and life celebrations coverage: If invited, whole class can attend
- Coverage so that each class can spend ½ day outing: PGY1 (August – Sept), PGY2 (Oct-Dec), PGY 3 (Feb-March), PGY4 (April – May)
It is part of our curriculum to prioritize activities including yoga, painting, mediation and massage therapy.
- Access to the Inova Joan and Russell Hitt Center for Healthy Living. This fitness center has flexible hours (5:30 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.) and costs $9.80/month (or $15/month for spouse or significant other).
- Fitness challenges throughout the year.
- Mentorship / accountability with Program Director in scheduling preventative care visits every 6 months.
- Prizes are given for improvement in exercise and attending preventative care health visit.
- Nutrition workshops review healthy eating options in the cafeteria, South Side Café, and Park Avenue Deli on the medical campus.
Our individualized curriculum allows for the expansion of knowledge and skills based on the strengths and interests of each individual resident. Examples include elective opportunities, intern school throughout year and 2-week block at end of academic year to practice/prepare for promotion to the next year.
- Administrative time built into didactics (logging cases, modules, etc)
- Workshops on work life balance and healthy work relationships
PGY class challenges for call room decorations throughout the year. The residency program enjoys strong support from department and hospital leadership. Resident input is routinely solicited and integrated to improve the program.
Why Choose Inova?
- Inova Fairfax Medical Campus is situated in the heart of Northern Virginia, a rapidly growing community with a population of 2 million and counting. A short distance from the Nation’s capital and 10 minutes from a Metro station, the hospital is a quick ride to the Mall and U.S. Capitol, with year-round access to the Smithsonian museums, the National Gallery, the U.S. Botanical gardens, the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts, as well as numerous restaurants, parks and festivals.
- Professional hometown sports teams include the Ravens, Capitals, Wizards, Nationals and D.C. United.
- Beaches, mountains, bike trails and more are all nearby, providing wonderful access to outdoor recreation for anyone who enjoys hiking, biking, rafting or just relaxing outside.
- Three major airports are all within an hour's drive: Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA, 15 miles), Dulles International Airport (IAD, 19 miles), and Thurgood Marshall Baltimore / Washington International Airport (BWI, 49 miles).
- The high-tech industry is well established along the Dulles Corridor between Washington, DC, and Dulles International Airport. In addition, Fairfax County has one of the best public school systems in the country. All of this has lead to an influx of professionals and a higher standard of living for those who make this area their home.
Northern Virginia - Local Info & Highlights
Northern Virginia is home to many cultures and just as many fantastic ethnic and regional restaurants (in addition to all the casual and sophisticated American restaurants you'd expect in a major metropolitan area). Article: Northern Virginia Magazine - 50 Best Restaurants
Just three minutes down the road from our campus is the lively new Merrifield Mosaic District, a modern town center with a Target, Mom's Organic Market, a large variety of casual and sit-down restaurants and boutiques, and an outdoor lawn for relaxing and watching movies under the stars hosted by the Angelika film center.
Need we say more? Our nation's capital is teeming with cultural and social opportunities like nowhere else – and we're right in its backyard. Check out the Washington Post's extensive visitor's guide, start exploring, and you'll be calling yourself a local in no time.