(Last updated October 2023)
Thank you for your interest in the Child Life Internship Program at Inova Children's Hospital. Our 600-hour internship program is accredited by the Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP). The program runs for 15 weeks during the Summer session and 16 weeks during the Fall session. During this time, interns gain extensive clinical experience in the field of child life. Under the supervision of a team of Certified Child Life Specialists (CCLS), interns learn about conducting psychosocial assessments, implementing patient- and family-centered care, medical and healthcare play, therapeutic play, psychological preparation, support and coping techniques and more.
Please review the ACLP’s website at www.childlife.org for further information regarding coursework, certification eligibility and internship qualifications.
Eligibility Criteria and Deadlines
The internship is open to applicants who:
- Are seeking CCLS certification with the intent to pursue a career in the field of child life
- Have experience with well infants, children, youth and/or families
- Have experience with infants, children, youth and/or families in stressful situations, healthcare settings and/or programs designed for children with special needs
- Have completed a 100 hour child life practicum under the supervision of a Certified Child Life Specialist
- Have completed the academic coursework portion of the ACLP eligibility assessment or are actively enrolled in an ACLP-endorsed academic program
- Complete the ACLP's Common Internship Readiness Application (available on the ACLP website)
- Email the downloaded application to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline. The email subject line should state the applicant’s name, the internship session (fall, summer), and the year.
Upon review of submitted materials, applicants will be notified of the status of their application. Submission of an application does not guarantee the candidate will receive an interview or an internship placement.