About Inova Psychiatric Assessment Center (IPAC)
IPAC provides a unique and valuable resource to the Northern Virginia and Washington, DC metro area by offering urgent psychiatric walk-in evaluations.
Adults, 18 years or older, in need of an urgent psychiatric assessment can walk into our IPAC office, Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (see detailed information below).
While at IPAC, a patient will be seen by a triage nurse and then one of our licensed clinicians, for example a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), a Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Psychiatrist, who will assess and make treatment recommendations. The treatment recommendations may include medication, individual therapy, a referral to one of our many behavioral health programs or hospitalization for stabilization.
The IPAC office is open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day). Please note, we are closed the first Wednesday of every month from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. (last registration at 2 p.m.).
The IPAC office is for urgent, walk-in, psychiatric assessments; no appointment is needed. Due to the high volume of patients, individuals who arrive after 3 p.m. are strongly encouraged to call ahead to determine wait times and availability for that day. We make every effort to see all walk-in patients that come to the IPAC, however, there are limitations to the number of patients we can see per day and wait times can vary based on demand and severity of symptoms.
Please bring your ID and insurance card. Payment is due at the time of service.
- IPAC Providers do NOT prescribe controlled substances such as stimulants (e.g., Adderall and Ritalin), benzodiazepines (e.g., Xanax and Ativan), or opiates (e.g., Percocet, OxyContin).
- We do not participate with Kaiser Insurance. We do accept out-of-network benefits with Cigna. Tricare insurance requires a prior authorization to be seen at our facility.
- We recommend that you check your benefits coverage with your insurance company prior to coming to our facility. Payments are due at the time of service.
- Due to the nature of our services and the varying wait times, we strongly encourage you to make child care arrangements prior to coming.
- We are closed the first Wednesday of every month from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. (last registration at 2 p.m.).
You may expedite your visit by completing these two registration forms and bringing them with you on your visit:
- Psychiatric or addiction crisis evaluation
- Walk-in appointments
- Psychiatric medication services