We create an individualized treatment plan for each patient
When chronic or acute pain is present, we first need to identify the underlying cause to find the best treatment plan. Whether the pain is the result of an acute injury or a chronic disease such as arthritis, cancer, spinal stenosis or persistent pain after surgery, we will create an individualized treatment plan for each patient. Treatment options may include non-narcotic medical management, interventional procedures, conservative care modalities, behavioral health services and rehabilitative therapies.
Inova Comprehensive Pain Centers offer the latest technology including our high-resolution MRI machines that provide better diagnostics and assessment of what is causing you pain. We also rely on a detailed medical history and physical exam.
Other diagnostic technologies we may order during your pain evaluation include CT, MRI, ultrasound or X-ray. Our radiologists are experts in imaging for all types of musculoskeletal and neurological conditions.
Deciding how to treat acute pain can be complex and usually requires a team of specialists across medical disciplines using multimodal therapies and treatments. Treatments will vary depending on your condition and individualized assessment.
- Cervical epidural steroid injections
- Home exercise programs
- Facet joint injections
- Lumbar epidural steroid injections
- Hip and shoulder injections
- Massage therapy
- Medial branch nerve blocks and radiofrequency ablation of the medial branch nerves
- Nerve blocks, genicular nerve blocks and genicular radiofrequency ablation
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Prescription medicine (antidepressants, muscle relaxants)
- Relaxation (meditation)
- Resting affected areas of the body
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Steroid Injections to reduce tissue inflammation
- Stress reduction
- TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation)
- Trigger point injections to treat muscle spams