When a patient at Inova Fairfax Hospital has dermatologic concerns during a hospital stay for another condition, Inova Teledermatology Program can provide a private and secure real-time video assessment and consult with a community dermatologist.
This real-time collaboration or store-and-forward capability makes it possible for a hospitalist at Inova Fairfax Hospital to remotely connect with community dermatologists. The outcome is quick, efficient access to a dermatologist and proper treatment protocols to help improve patient care.
The dermatology team is led by the Department of Medicine and staffed by hospitalists.
How the Program Works
When a patient presents with dermatologic symptoms:
- The hospitalist or emergency medicine physician reviews the patient's status and determines the need for evaluation
- The dermatoscope (or other technology) is taken to the patient's bedside
- The patient, EM physician and remote dermatologist begin a real-time consult. Alternatively, an examination camera captures images which are then forwarded to the dermatologist for review.
- The clinical staff consults with the dermatologist to expeditiously determine treatment, admission or transfer decisions
Inova Teledermatology Benefits Patients
- Patient has faster access to a dermatology specialist and decreased treatment turnaround
- Often there is less need for follow-up
Benefits to Healthcare Providers
- Convenient, real-time access to dermatologists
- Store-and-forward access to consults