We have a dynamic and growing Research and Evidence Based Practice (EBP) program at Inova Fairfax Medical Campus, and across the entire Inova Health System. At Inova Fairfax, we currently have several active research studies and two active Nurse Fellows Evidence Based projects started in 2018 or 2019.
We support the Vizient Nurse Residency Program and the numerous, inspirational, and innovative EBP projects developed by our nurse residents. Additionally, we support and facilitate the initiatives of other registered nurses within the campus, who are undertaking evidence based projects and research.
Inova nurses undertaking research projects have access to world-class support resources, including:
- Librarians in the Inova Fairfax Health Sciences Library
- Grants Management Office
- Access to many research and EBP templates
- The privilege to work collaboratively with other health care institutions
A sample of evidence-based practice and research activities undertaken by nurses at Inova Fairfax Medical Campus with the aim of systematically improving patient care, reducing error, and enhancing the integrity and excellence of all healthcare interactions.
- In preterm neonates 28 weeks or younger, how does the use of an intraventricular hemorrhage bundle prevent hemorrhages compared to standards of practice within the first 72 hours of life?
- In hospitalized cardiac patients, what is the impact of a tailored discharge teach-back tool on 30 day readmission rates?
- Does education on multimodal pain relief empower nurses to utilize best practice on neonatal circumcision?
- In asymptomatic term newborns at risk for sepsis, is a six-hour CBC a better predictor of sepsis than a one-hour CBC?
- Is a poster presentation (as opposed to simulation only) an effective way to teach nurses about the Promoting Vaginal Birth (PVB) program?
- In Neonatal ICU patients does unrestricted number and type of visitors compared to restricted number and type of visitors result in a higher infection rates?
- Does protocol implementation decrease length of stay in patients of Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA)?
- Does educating labor and delivery staff about sudden unexpected postnatal collapse / sudden infant postnatal collapse reduce the incidence of sudden unexpected postnatal collapse?