About Alan Nyquist, MD
Dr. Alan Nyquist is the Associate Program Director of the Cystic Fibrosis and Bronchiectasis Program at the Inova Advanced Lung Disease and Transplant Program at Inova Fairfax Hospital.
Dr. Nyquist was born and raised in Upstate New York. He attended McGill University in Montreal as an undergraduate and returned to New York to complete medical school at Albany Medical College. Next, Dr. Nyquist completed a combined internal medicine and pediatrics residency at Georgetown University. After becoming dually certified in those specialties, Dr. Nyquist pursued more training at the University of Arizona in Tucson, AZ, in adult pulmonary and critical care. Finally, he returned to the DMV area for subspecialty training in Inova's Advanced Lung Disease and Transplant fellowship. After completing the fellowship in 2022, he stayed as a faculty member in the program.
Dr. Nyquist's career interests include cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis, and advanced lung diseases, including interstitial lung disease and pulmonary hypertension, lung transplantation, and patients transitioning from pediatric to adult providers. He believes in partnering with patients to develop a unique treatment plan that meets their life goals.
Outside the office, Dr. Nyquist enjoys spending time outdoors, including running, biking and exploring nature. He also enjoys traveling to new cities and watching sporting events. He is an avid Miami Heat fan.
- Program for Adult Care Excellence (PACE) Grant from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2022
- CHEST Diversity Travel Grant Winner, 2022
- Metropolitan DC Thoracic Society Abstract Winner, 2022
- Outstanding Medicine Fellow Award at the University of Arizona, 2019 and 2021
- Outstanding Research Fellow at the University of Arizona, 2021
- Georgetown University Kandavelan Viswalingam M.D. Memorial Award for empathy and excellence in critical care medicine, 2017
- Georgetown University Dudley P. Jackson Award for excellence in medical resident teaching, 2017
- Georgetown School of Medicine String of Pearls Award for excellence in medical student teaching, 2017
- Georgetown University Michael Adams House Officer Award for, "intelligence, dedication to teaching, perseverance, and commitment to the field of medicine", 2016
- Metropolitan DC Thoracic Society, Board member
- American College of Physicians (ACP)
- American College of Chest Physicians (CHEST)
- American Thoracic Society
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Gold Humanism Honor Society, Inducted 2013
Medical EducationAlbany Medical College 2013
Training Specialty: Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
6/12/2013 - 06/30/2017
Training Specialty: Pulmonary and Critical Care
7/1/2018 - 06/30/2021
About Patient Comments
The Patient Rating score is an average of all responses to physician related questions on our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best score. Comments are gathered from our Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey and displayed in their entirety. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.