About Brandon Bryant, MD
Dr. Bryant is a board-certified specialist in both orthopedic surgery and sports medicine. He has more than 13 years of clinical experience, joining Inova Medical Group in 2016 after serving as an orthopedic surgeon and sports medicine specialist and Commander in the U.S. Navy. Dr. Bryant specializes in treating all disorders of the knee and shoulder, with interests in ligament reconstruction, meniscus repair and transplant, cartilage preservation, patellofemoral disorders, rotator cuff and labral tears, and biologic procedures. He maintains an avid interest in research and discovering innovative methods for treatment and prevention of orthopedic disorders.
Dr. Bryant began his Naval career following residency training at the University of California, Irvine Medical Center in California. He completed a fellowship in sports medicine at the University of Pittsburgh, further specializing in the complex treatment of knee and shoulder injuries. During fellowship training, he served as an assistant team physician for the Pittsburgh Steelers, University of Pittsburgh, Robert Morris University and Duquesne University. After his fellowship in sports medicine, Dr. Bryant was stationed at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, VA, where he also served as an assistant professor of orthopaedic surgery and head orthopaedic and sports medicine consultant to all Naval Special Warfare Groups in nearby Virginia Beach.
He deployed to the Role 3 combat hospital in Kandahar, Afghanistan in 2011-2012 in support of Operation Enduring Freedom where he also served as the orthopaedic surgery department head.
A native of Southern California, Dr. Bryant now resides in Northern Virginia with his wife and two children. He enjoys spending time with his family, traveling, fly fishing and helping to coach his children's soccer teams.
- Charles M. Reinert Award for Teaching Excellence in Orthopaedic Surgery, Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, 2016
- Associate Master Clinician, NMCP
- Member, Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons (SOMOS)
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Member, Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- Member, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, University of California Los Angeles Chapter, 2000
- Provost’s Honors, UCSD Warren College; Golden Key Honor Society; Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity, UCSD, 1995-1997
SportsTalk570: "Ask the Doctor" featuring Dr. Robin West & Dr. Brandon Bryant, discussing their roles on the field during NFL game day, managing the medical team along with player safety and injuries. This program airs Saturday mornings at 10 a.m. as part of the Redskins Health & Wellness Program. Listen to this podcast
Medical EducationUCLA David Geffen School of Medicine 2001
Training Specialty: Orthopaedic Surgery
6/1/2001 - 6/30/2006
Training Specialty: Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine
8/1/2009 - 7/30/2010