About Kathleen Harnden, MD
Dr. Kathleen Harnden is a breast oncology physician, board certified in medical oncology and internal medicine. She has over 11 years of clinical experience. She has a special interest in the management of breast cancer, particularly in premenopausal women.
Dr. Harnden joined Inova Schar Cancer Institute after the completion of her hematology/oncology fellowship at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina.
Dr. Harnden has numerous publications in national journals and has presented at national meetings on topics in breast cancer. Her research has focused on early phase clinical trials in breast cancer, breast cancer genomics and individualized treatment for patients based on advanced testing results. She is and has been a principal investigator on several phase I clinical trials in metastatic breast cancer and is interested in developing novel therapies for breast cancer.
A native of Vienna, VA, Dr. Harnden currently resides in Oakton, VA with her husband, a gastroenterology physician, and their three children. In her spare time, she enjoys spending time with her family, jogging, vacationing on Cape Cod and traveling the world.
- Darden School of Business, MBA Candidate 2022
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- Duke University Medical Center Faculty Resident Research Award
- National Cancer Institute, NIH, Cancer Research Training Award
- Member, American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Top Docs, Washingtonian, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Top Rising Stars Under 40, Washington Life, 2017
Research and Publications
Medical EducationUniversity of Southern California School of Medicine 2010
Training Specialty: Internal Medicine
7/1/2010 - 7/8/2013
Training Specialty: Hematology/Oncology
6/1/2013 - 6/30/2016