About Mohankumar Kurukumbi, MD
Dr. Mohan Kurukumbi is board certified in neurology and clinical neurophysiology (epilepsy). He is the Medical Director of the Inova Epilepsy Center at Inova Fairfax Hospital.
He has been an epileptologist with Inova Neurology for more than five years. His interest in epilepsy stems from a passion to help people with seizures gain control and achieve a better quality of life with advanced epilepsy treatment options. He believes and practices avoiding over treating and undertreating epilepsy.
Dr. Kurukumbi is proud of the quality of care offered by Inova Epilepsy Center and that it has achieved status as a NAEC Level four center. The program offers several services including epilepsy monitoring units, epilepsy rsection surgery, subdural electrode placement, vagus nerve stimulation (VNS), responsive nerve stimulation (Neuropace), deep brain stimulation ( DBS) surgery and newer anti-epileptic drugs to all eligible patents. The Inova Epilepsy Center also offers the latest advanced "laser surgery," also known as ablation surgery, for qualifying epilepsy patients.
Dr. Kurukumbi recommends that all types of epilepsy/seizure patients from new onset seizures to complicated intractable seizures take advantage of the one stop comprehensive epilepsy care at Inova.
Dr. Kurukumbi's other areas of interest are general neurology, neuropathy, headache, stroke, neuromuscular disorders, myasthenia gravis, neurosarcoidosis and concussion.
Dr. Kurukumbi is a U.S. citizen and resides in Fairfax, VA, with his family. His personal interests include traveling, cycling, reading and playing cricket.
- Award, Top Inova Neuroscience Physician Leader, 2021 (for outstanding leadership, service and dedication in Inova Neurosciences)
- Best Neurology Teacher Award, Virginia Commonwealth University, Northern VA campus, academic years 2019-2020, 2018-2019, 2015-2016 and 2014-2015
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Washington, DC, chapter, inducted 2010
- Resident Leadership Award, Howard University Hospital, Washington, DC, 2009
- First place in resident research competition, neurology and neurosurgery section, 114th National Medical Association Annual convention, Las Vegas, NV, July 2009
- Scholarly Activity awards, Howard University Hospital, academic years 2009-2010, 2008-2009 and 2007-2008
- Member, American Academy of Neurology
- Member, American Epilepsy Society
Published Blog Articles and Other Media
- Family Health: Transformative Epilepsy Treatment (November 2017)
- Epilepsy Awareness: See a Doctor if Having Seizures (November 2016)
- With NeuroPace, Inova Epilepsy Center Offers Christian an Effective Treatment for His Complex Epilepsy (November 2022)
- Elena's Story: Tackling an Epilepsy Diagnosis During COVID-19 (June 2020)
- Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy (SUDEP): What We Know (July 2019)
- Patient with Epilepsy Gets Life Saving Treatment at Inova Fairfax Hospital (October 2017)
- Qamar's Story: Seizure-Free with Laser Ablation Surgical Treatment
- Gabriel's Story: Use of Laser Ablation Treatment for Seizures
- Inova Alexandria Hospital Epilepsy Program accredited by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC)
- Inova Fairfax Hospital Epilepsy Center accredited by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC), level four, the highest designation possible, since 2014
Medical EducationKarnataka Medical College 1995
Training Specialty: Internal Medicine
6/21/2006 - 06/22/2007
7/1/1994 - 7/31/1995
Training Specialty: Neurology
7/1/2007 - 06/30/2010
2/1/1997 - 3/30/2003
Training Specialty: Clinical Neurophysiology
7/1/2010 - 06/30/2011