About Mohankumar Kurukumbi, MD
Dr. Mohan Kurukumbi is board certified in neurology and clinical neurophysiology (epilepsy). He is the Medical Director of the Inova Epilepsy Center at Inova Fairfax Hospital.
He has been an epileptologist with Inova Neurology for five years. His interest in epilepsy stems from a passion to help people with seizures gain control and achieve a better quality of life with advanced epilepsy treatment options. He believes and practices avoiding over treating and undertreating epilepsy.
Dr. Kurukumbi is proud of the quality of care offered by Inova Epilepsy Center and that it has achieved status as a NAEC Level four center. The program offers several services including epilepsy monitoring units, epilepsy surgery, subdural electrode placement, vagus nerve stimulation (VNS), responsive nerve stimulation (Neuropace) and newer anti-epileptic drugs to all eligible patents.
Beginning in 2019, the Inova Epilepsy Center started "laser surgery" for the patients with refractory epilepsy.
Dr. Kurukumbi recommends that all epilepsy/seizure patients take advantage of the comprehensive epilepsy care at Inova.
Dr. Kurukumbi's other areas of interest are general neurology, neuropathy, headache, stroke, neuromuscular disorders, myasthenia gravis, neurosarcoidosis and concussion.
- Best Neurology Teacher Award, Virginia Commonwealth University, Northern VA campus, academic years 2019-2020, 2018-2019, 2014-2015, and 2015-2016
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Washington, DC, chapter, inducted 2010
- Resident Leadership Award, Howard University Hospital, Washington, DC, 2009
- First place in resident research competition, neurology and neurosurgery section, 114th National Medical Association Annual convention, Las Vegas, NV, July 2009
- Scholarly Activity awards, Howard University Hospital, academic years 2007-2008, 2008-2009, and 2009-2010
- Member, American Academy of Neurology
- Member, American Epilepsy Society
Published Blog Articles and Other Media
- Family Health: Transformative Epilepsy Treatment. November 2017
- Epilepsy Awareness: See a Doctor if Having Seizures. November 2016
- Elena's Story: Tackling an Epilepsy Diagnosis During COVID-19
- Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy (SUDEP): What We Know
- Patient with Epilepsy Gets Life Saving Treatment at Inova Fairfax Hospital
- Inova Alexandria Hospital Epilepsy Program accredited by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC)
- Inova Fairfax Hospital Epilepsy Center accredited by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC), level four, the highest designation possible, since 2017
Medical EducationKarnataka Medical College 1995
Training Specialty: Internal Medicine
06/21/2006 - 06/22/2007
Training Specialty: Neurology
07/01/2007 - 06/30/2010
Training Specialty: Clinical Neurophysiology
07/01/2010 - 06/30/2011