About Robin West, MD
Dr. Robin West is a board-certified orthopedic and sports medicine surgeon. She joined Inova Medical Group in 2014 and has more than 20 years of clinical experience. As Chairman of Inova Sports Medicine, Dr. West directs the clinical, strategic, administrative and academic affairs of the comprehensive program.
Dr. West currently serves as the Lead Team Physician for the Washington Nationals. She served for 18 years in the NFL as the team physician for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Washington Commanders. During her time in Pittsburgh, PA, she also served as team physician for the athletic department of the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University. She was an Associate Professor at the University of Pittsburgh and is presently an Associate Professor at the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine and at Georgetown University Medical Center.
Dr. West currently serves on the board of directors of the NFL Physician’s Society and the NFL Scouting Medical Committee. She previously served on the board of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM). She currently serves on the editorial board of Orthopaedics Today and was previously a deputy editor of the American Journal of Orthopaedics. She is an active member in the NFL and MLB Physicians' Societies, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA), and AOSSM.
A native of Southern California, Dr. West resides in Northern Virginia with her husband, two daughters and two dogs. In her spare time, she enjoys running, biking, hiking and being active with her family. She has completed the Eagleman Ironman 70.3, the Marine Corps Marathon, the San Diego Rock ‘n Roll Marathon, the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon twice, and numerous other races.
- Honoree, Top Women in Health Care, PR News, 2019
- Top Docs, Northern Virginia Magazine, 2018
- Top Docs, Washingtonian, 2016-2018, 2020
- Best Doctors, Virginia Living, 2017
- “Power Player,” Fox News Sunday, 2017
- S’Hero Award, ECNL (Elite Club’s National League), 2017
- Honoree, ESPNW Impact25, 2016
- Elected, Best Doctors, Pittsburgh Magazine, 2013, 2014
- Top 28 North American Sports Knee Surgeons, This Week in Orthopaedics, 2014
- Recipient, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center’s Award for Commitment and Excellence in Service (ACES), 2009
- Honoree, Sports and Fitness Award, Women and Girls of Distinction, Girl Scouts of the USA, Trillium Council, 2007
- Honoree, Woman and Girls Foundation of South Western Pennsylvania (SWPA), “Inspiring and Innovative Work in the Sciences,” Carnegie Science Center, 2005
Dr. West in the News
Power Player of the Week: FOXNEWS - Chris Wallace. September 2017.
Working Woman: Redskins, Nationals doctor a first for NFL and MLB - ABC7 - Alison Starling. October 2017.
Breaking Big League Barriers. Fall 2017.
Dr. Robin West Recognized as January ECNL S’Hero Award Recipient. January 2017.
Robin West, MD makes espnW list of top 25 female athletes and influencers of 2016.
Is Robin West the most influential person in pro sports medicine? September 2016.
Nationals/MLB The Nationals had a lot of injuries in 2015, so they changed their medical approach. August 2016.
Washington Redskins Add Dr. Robin West as Director of Sports Medicine. June 2016.
Washington Nationals Name Inova’s Robin West, MD Lead Team Physician. November 2015.
Hear Dr. West on ESPN's Outside the Lines discuss the NLF's new policy on marijuana. December 2014.
Game On: Dr. Robin West Heads up Inova’s New Sports Medicine Program. December 2014.
SportsTalk570: "Ask the Doctor" featuring Dr. Robin West & Dr. Brandon Bryant, discussing their roles on the field during NFL game day, managing the medical team along with player safety and injuries.
Medical EducationGeorge Washington University School of Medicine 1997
Training Specialty: General Surgery
07/01/1997 - 06/30/1998
Training Specialty: Orthopaedic Surgery
07/01/1998 - 06/30/2002
Training Specialty: Sports Medicine
08/01/2002 - 07/31/2003