About Shawna Willey, MD
Dr. Willey joined our renowned Breast Cancer Program with more than 30 years of experience, and serves as Peterson Chair of Breast Cancer Research, a position endowed by the Peterson Family Foundation. In her role, she leads research endeavors and provides recommendations for new technologies and treatments in breast cancer.
She joined Inova Schar Cancer Institute from MedStar Georgetown University Hospital where she was the Chief of the Department of Surgery and Director of MedStar's Regional Breast Health Program. She is the former President of the American Society of Breast Surgery and the current Chairman of the Board of the American Society of Breast Surgeons.
As a board-certified breast surgeon, Dr. Willey has spent her entire career in the Washington, DC, area, mentoring medical students, residents and breast surgery fellows. She is recognized nationally and internationally for her leadership and surgical capabilities, and has performed medical missions, including health education programs, throughout the world.
Dr. Willey has led advances in surgical technology and research as a pioneer in the adoption of nipple-sparing mastectomy, and management and surveillance of patients with gene mutation carriers. She has written more than 50 peer-reviewed articles and book contributions and is consistently listed as "Top Doctor" in Newsweek and U.S. News & World Report and "Best Doctor" in Washingtonian Magazine.
Areas of Focus
- Breast surgery
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy
- Management and surveillance of patients with gene mutation carriers
- Leading Physicians of the World, 2017
- "Top Cancer Doctors," Newsweek, 2015
- "Top Doctor," US News & World Report, 2012
- "Best Doctors," 2011-2012, 2014, 2015-2016, 2017-2018
- "Top Doctors of Washington," 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017
- "America’s Top Doctors," 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- "America’s Top Doctors for Cancer," 1999, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2017
- American Society of Clinical Oncology, 2010-present
- Society of Surgical Oncology, 2010-present
- Breast Surgery International, 2010-present
- Georgetown Women in Medicine, 2007-present
- American Society of Breast Surgeons, 2001-present
- Association of Women Surgeons, 1992-present
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons, 1991-present
- Metropolitan Washington Chapter, American College of Surgeons, 1991-present
- Chairman of the Board of Directors, American Society of Breast Surgeons, 2018-2021
- Course Co-Chair, Breast Cancer Coordinated Care, Washington, DC, March 1-3, 2018
- Scientific Advisory Board, TransMed 7, 2017-present
- Speaker's Bureau, Medtronic, 2014-present
- Reviewer, Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2010-present
- Medical Advisory Board, Genomic Health Inc., 2010-present
- Reviewer, Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2010-present
- Reviewer, Cancer, 2010-present
- Reviewer, Annals of Surgery, 2010-present