About Suraj Venna, MD
Dr. Suraj Venna is a board-certified dermatologist and Medical Director of the Inova Melanoma and Skin Cancer Center. He practices at the Inova Schar Cancer Institute in Fairfax, VA, and is fellowship trained in melanoma and cutaneous oncology. He is actively involved in medical student and resident education and is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Virginia School of Medicine.
Prior to his position at Inova, Dr. Venna was the founding Medical Director of the Melanoma Program at the Washington Cancer Institute in Washington, DC. The melanoma team was the recipient of the President's Patients First Award, given for outstanding delivery and coordination of care. He was faculty at Georgetown University School of Medicine, where he taught medical students and trained residents in dermatology and was Fellowship Director for the Melanoma and Cutaneous Oncology Program.
Dr. Venna's career in academic medicine began at Boston University and then to the University of California, San Francisco at the Mt. Zion Cancer Center, Melanoma Program, where he served as Director of the Pigmented Lesions Clinic. He is actively engaged with dermatologists both on a local and national level.
Dr. Venna was on the Executive Committee of the Washington DC Dermatological Society and is also past President of the Society. On a national level, Dr. Venna has served the American Academy of Dermatology on the State Policy Committee and continues to serve on the Pigmented Lesions Subcommittee and was also on the American Society of Clinical Oncology Melanoma Education Committee. In 2019, he received the Melanoma Research Foundation Humanitarian Award.
- Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, University of Virginia School of Medicine
- Pochi Award for Excellence in Dermatology, Boston University, 2001
- AOA Medical Honor Society, 2005
- National Institutes of Health Ruth Kirchstein Research Service Award, 2005
- American Skin Association, Melanoma Research Award, 2005
- Teacher of the Year, Dept. of Dermatology, University of California San Francisco, 2008
- Teacher of the Year, Dept. of Dermatology, University of California San Francisco, 2009
- American Academy of Dermatology Presidential Citation Award, 2011
- Melanoma and Skin Cancer Committee, American Society of Clinical Oncology, 2012-2015
- Melanoma Research Foundation, Humanitarian Award, 2019
- Top Doctors, Washingtonian, 2015-2022
- Top Doctors, Northern Virginia Magazine, 2018-2020
Research and Publications
- Inova Dermatologist Brings Melanoma Awareness to Capitol Hill. June 7, 2018.
- Raising Skin Cancer Awareness: Inova Dermatologist Joins Skin Cancer Health Fair & Screening on Capitol Hill. July 11, 2016.
- Experts from Inova Schar Cancer Institute’s Melanoma and Skin Cancer Center Speak at Largest Annual Meeting of Dermatologists. March 16, 2016.
- Inova Dermatologist Helps Local Students Win Sun-Shade Grant to Improve Sun Safety and Prevent Melanoma. February 3, 2016.
- Former President Jimmy Carter: A Health Update. December 10, 2015.
- Preventing Melanoma: Should You Drink More Coffee and Hold Off on the Viagra? September 1, 2015.
- Jimmy Carter's Rare Cancer Diagnosis. August 27, 2015.
Medical EducationBoston University School of Medicine 2001
Training Specialty: Preliminary Internal Medicine
6/20/2001 - 6/30/2002
Training Specialty: Dermatology
7/1/2002 - 6/30/2005
Training Specialty: Research Fellow
7/1/2005 - 6/30/2006
Training Specialty: Dermatology
7/1/2006 - 6/30/2007