About Won Kyoo Cho, MD
Dr. Won Kyoo Cho is an Inova specialty-care physician board certified in gastroenterology and internal medicine. He joined Inova in 2022 and has been practicing medicine for more than 20 years.
After earning his medical degree from Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, Dr. Cho completed his residency in internal medicine at Boston University Hospital. He went on to complete a fellowship in gastroenterology and hepatology at Yale University School of Medicine.
Dr. Cho's 23-year medical career includes extensive academic and clinical experience. He served as Associate Professor of Medicine at Indiana University School of Medicine and Professor of Medicine at Georgetown University School of Medicine, as well as Chief of GI/Hepatology at Roudebush VA Medical Center and at Medstar Washington Hospital Center. In addition, he has conducted various basic/translational/clinical research and widely published with research interests that include colorectal cancer/polyps, GI bleeding, gastric intestinal metaplasia, gastroparesis, cholestatic and fatty liver diseases, and cystic fibrosis.
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- American College of Gastroenterology
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Diplomate, American Board of Gastroenterology
- Taefi A, Cho WK* and Nouraie M*. Changes of Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding Mortality Risk and Its Risk Factors over Three Decades. Digestive Disease and Sciences 58:2940-8, 2013.
- Sawas T, Al Halabi S, Sayyar M, Cho WK. Systemic Review with Meta-analysis: Patients Receiving Prebiotics and Probiotics Before Liver Transplantation Develop Fewer Infections Than Controls: A Systemic Review and Meta-Analysis. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 13:1567-74, 2015.
- Sawas T, Cho WK, et. al. End-Stage Renal Disease is Associated with Increased Post Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography Adverse Events in Hospitalized Patients. World Journal of Gastroenterology 24: 4691-7, 2018.
- Mandaliya R., et. al. Cho WK. Significant Variation in the Detection Rates of Proximal Serrated Polyps Among Academic Gastroenterologists, Community Gastroenterologists and Colorectal Surgeons in a Single Tertiary Care Center. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 64:2614-21, 2019.
- Pothoulakis, I, et. al. Cho WK. Predictors of Colorectal Carcinoma and Inflammatory Bowel Disease in Patients with Colonic Wall Thickening. Manuscript in Press, 2022
- Chen B, Jefferson DM, and Cho WK. Impaired Regulatory Volume Decrease and Characterization of Underlying Volume-Activated Currents in Cystic Fibrosis Human Cholangiocyte Cell Line. Journal of Membrane Biology. Manuscript in Press, 2022.
- Sayyar M, and Cho WK. The Overlooked Factors that May Lead to Delayed Gastric Emptying. (Manuscript in revision).
- AGA Institute Quality Measure Development for the Management of Gastric Intestinal Metaplasia with Helicobacter Pylori. Huang KW, Maratt JK, Cho WK, et. al. Manuscript Submitted.
Medical EducationPerelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania 1989
Training Specialty: Internal Medicine
7/1/1989 - 06/30/1992
Training Specialty: Gastroenterology
7/1/1992 - 06/30/1995