Inova Alexandria Hospital offers two opportunities for those who wish to give the gift of time and energy to help make our hospital a success: A traditional volunteering role with the Volunteer Services Department, and becoming active in our Patient & Family Advisory Council.
Volunteer Paths at Inova Alexandria Hospital
Volunteer Services Department
The volunteer's role is to make patients' hospital experiences as pleasant and personal as possible. The Volunteer Services Department's mission at Inova Alexandria Hospital is to develop and maintain an efficient and effective corps of volunteers to:
- Offer an extra dimension of care and service to patients, their families and visitors
- Provide support and assistance to hospital team members
- Strengthen the ties between the hospital and the community we serve
Our First Volunteers
Inova Alexandria Hospital was started by volunteers in 1872. Julia Johns, daughter of the Episcopal bishop of Alexandria, called together a group of concerned citizens and friends who were interested in charity work. Johns asked for their support in forming a society that would both establish and run a local hospital; this was the beginning of Alexandria Hospital.
Alexandrians and residents in the surrounding community continue to volunteer enthusiastically and serve in 50 areas of the hospital. The primary focus of all volunteer service is to support our clinical staff in delivering excellent care and providing a positive patient experience.
We ask that adult volunteers work a four-hour shift each week with a minimum of 100 hours a year. Many retirees volunteer because they want to give back to the community. Young working adults also want to be of service, or are exploring a career in healthcare.
High school volunteers between the ages of 16 and 18 commit to serving two to four hours a week with a minimum of 50 hours a year. Students perform assignments similar to the adult volunteers and may be fulfilling high school service requirements, enhancing their resumes, exploring health careers and simply sharing their time and helping others in the community.
Assignments, Orientation and Training
All volunteers attend a 30 minute information session, two hour orientation session and assignment-specific training. Volunteers are matched to appropriate assignments that meet the needs of the hospital.
Volunteers serve in a variety of clinical areas including:
- Visitor's information desk
- Outpatient center
- Emergency Debartment lobby
- Operating room
Non-clinical areas where volunteers serve include:
- Human Resources
- Medical Affairs
- Cancer Center
- Exploring new interests and experiencing the satisfaction of helping others
- Opportunity to use your gifts and talents
- Reduced rates for wellness classes through Inova Well
- Inclusion in hospital special events
- New friends
- Annual awards luncheon
- Volunteer Week celebration
- Free parking in visitor's parking lot
- Discount in the cafeteria
Become a Volunteer
The first step is to attend an information session. Please call the Inova Alexandria Hospital Volunteer Manager at 703-504-3031 to hear the date for the next session or for more information.
Patient & Family Advisory Council
Inova Alexandria Hospital is pleased to announce an opportunity for patients and families to have a greater involvement in hospital care by serving on a new Patient & Family Advisory Council.
We are seeking volunteers to become members of this new group that will help shape the future of healthcare at Inova.
The council membership will consist of recent patients and family members as well as hospital staff. The mission of the council is varied and may include the following: providing input and different points of view on programs, issues, and services that impact patient care.
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Have strong listening skills as well as effective oral communication abilities
- Are willing to work in an advice-giving role
- Are able to respect the different points of view of others
- Are able to actively participate in discussions and provide necessary suggestions for improvement on a variety of issues
- Have a strong desire and commitment for quality health care at Inova Alexandria Hospital
If you are interested in sharing your viewpoints on healthcare at Inova Alexandria Hospital, please complete the application below and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information call 703-504-3623.