If you suffer from persistent heartburn 2 or more days a week, you may have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Inova offers state-of-the-art diagnostic studies to evaluate heartburn symptoms and diagnose GERD:
- Outpatient 24-hour pH studies: Esophageal pH monitoring measures the acidity, or pH, of the esophagus over a 24-hour period.
- Esophageal evaluations: Esophageal manometry evaluates the function of the esophagus and the LES.
- Esophageal impedance testing: Impedance testing is a new technique that enables more accurate diagnosis of non-acid reflux events and other esophageal disorders, including reflux of gastric contents.
- Endoscopy: This exam utilizes a scope to view the inside of the esophagus and stomach to identify esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus) or a pre-cancerous condition called Barrett's esophagus. Additionally, ulcers may be evaluated at the same time.
- Barium upper GI series: This exam uses X-rays to study potential problems in the esophagus, stomach and upper part of the small intestine.