Why Choose Inova Women's Hospital for Your Testing?
At Inova Women's Hospital, you have immediate access to the most cutting-edge technology and the widest range of resources.
Our physicians conduct innovative research, participating in weekly clinical conferences and consulting frequently with physicians from other specialties.
Prenatal genetic counseling can help you:
- Understand the cause of a certain condition
- Know the chance of having future children with a condition
- Learn about current research, testing procedures and prenatal diagnosis
- Contact community resources, and if possible, other families or patients with the same condition
- Adjust to the personal and family issues related to a genetic disorder
Genetic Counseling Can Assist Women or Couples Who Are:
- Planning a pregnancy
- Interested in prenatal diagnosis
- Concerned about first or second trimester screening results
- Known to be at risk for carrying genetic disorders such as cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy, hemophilia, sickle cell disease or thalassemia
- Pregnant and will be 35 years or older at the time of delivery
- Of an ethnic group in which particular inherited diseases are more common, including African-American, French-Canadian, Jewish, Mediterranean or Asian backgrounds
Genetic Counseling Can Help with the Implications Of:
- Previous miscarriages or pregnancy losses
- Either parent's diagnosis or family history of birth defect, genetic disorder or mental retardation
- Previously having a child with a birth defect, genetic disorder or mental retardation
- A laboratory test such as a maternal serum screening test indicating an increased risk for a genetic disorder
- A woman's exposure to certain medications or drugs, significant radiation, and/or particular infections during her pregnancy