Our First Volunteers
Inova Alexandria Hospital was started by volunteers in 1872. Julia Johns, daughter of the Episcopal bishop of Alexandria, called together a group of concerned citizens and friends who were interested in charity work. Johns asked for their support in forming a society that would both establish and run a local hospital; this was the beginning of Alexandria Hospital.
Alexandrians and residents in the surrounding community continue to volunteer enthusiastically and serve throughout the hospital as well as at the Springfield Health Plex. Our volunteers support our clinical and support teams in delivering excellent care and providing a positive patient experience.
Learn More About Volunteering at Inova Alexandria Hospital
Service Area Options and Availability
Current service needs and availability are updated monthly in the interactive volunteer opportunities box below. Select the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) to see assignments with openings at each of the hospital sites. By clicking the duties and times needed labels, you can view more details about the service area and the times we currently have openings.
Requirements to Become a Volunteer
- Commit to one, 3-4 hour shift per week for a minimum of 6 months
- Be at least 18 years of age (for involvement in the College and Adult programs)
- Complete and pass a background check
- Complete two rounds of tuberculosis screening OR one tuberculosis blood test
- Provide confirmation of receiving COVID-19 vaccination and booster
- Provide confirmation of receiving the MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), Varicella (Chickenpox), Tdap for Pertussis (Whooping Cough) vaccines OR proof of immunity via titer
- Receive a flu vaccine (if onboarding during flu season)
- Take online training
- Attend new volunteer training class
To learn more about our program requirements and service area opportunities before applying, we welcome you to attend an information meeting. While not mandatory in order to participate as a volunteer, we highly recommend attending to make sure our program is a good fit for you.
Check back for future meeting dates.
Upcoming Application Windows
Applications are reviewed during designated open application windows throughout the calendar year. The next session is for our High School and College Summer programs only.
Please note: Our adult program applications will resume this fall. Details will be updated on the website for the adult and year-round college programs by mid-June.
High School Volunteer Note: must be at least 16 years of age by orientation, June 20, 2023. Additionally, you are considered a high school student for our program through the summer following high school graduation. Please make sure you are completing the correct application form.
Before applying, please review all program dates and volunteer requirements to make sure you can commit to the program. In the event that we receive an abundance of qualified applications who can meet our full commitment, we reserve the right to run a lottery to select volunteers fairly.
Summer Application & Program Dates:
- Applications Open: Friday, April 28 at 10 a.m. – Tuesday, May 2 at 10 a.m.
- All applications will be responded to by close of business Monday, May 8
- High School Student & Parent Mandatory In-Person Information Session: Thursday, May 11 at 6 p.m. OR Tuesday, May 16 at 6 p.m.
- College Student Zoom Mandatory Information Session: Friday, May 12
- Mandatory In-Person Orientation: Tuesday, June 20, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Attendance Commitment: The summer program requires two, 3-4 hour shifts per week from June 24 - August 18. You are permitted two shift absences for the summer.
Summer High School & College Program 2023
Applications will be open from Friday, April 28 at 10 a.m. – Tuesday, May 2 at 10 a.m.