Our First Volunteers
Inova Alexandria Hospital was started by volunteers in 1872. Julia Johns, daughter of the Episcopal bishop of Alexandria, called together a group of concerned citizens and friends who were interested in charity work. Johns asked for their support in forming a society that would both establish and run a local hospital; this was the beginning of Alexandria Hospital.
Alexandrians and residents in the surrounding community continue to volunteer enthusiastically and serve throughout the hospital as well as at the Springfield Health Plex. Our volunteers support our clinical and support teams in delivering excellent care and providing a positive patient experience.
Learn More About Volunteering at Inova Alexandria Hospital
Service Area Options and Availability
Current service needs and availability are updated monthly and may be viewed below. Individuals will have the opportunity to indicate their availability and service area preference on the volunteer application.
Requirements to Become a Volunteer
- Commit to one, 3-4 hour shift per week for a minimum of 6 months
- Be at least 18 years of age (for involvement in the College and Adult programs)
- Complete and pass a background check
- Complete two rounds of tuberculosis screening OR one tuberculosis blood test
- Provide confirmation of receiving COVID-19 vaccination and booster
- Provide confirmation of receiving the MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), Varicella (Chickenpox), Tdap for Pertussis (Whooping Cough) vaccines OR proof of immunity via titer
- Receive a flu vaccine (if onboarding during flu season)
- Take online training
- Attend new volunteer training class
To learn more about our program requirements and service area opportunities before applying, we welcome you to attend an information meeting. While not mandatory in order to participate as a volunteer, we highly recommend attending to make sure our program is a good fit for you.
Note: all meetings will be held via Zoom. Registration is required in advance and will open 30 days prior to the information meeting at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RM59HVM
- Wednesday, July 19, 2022, 2 - 3 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 15, 2022, 10 - 11 a.m.
- Thursday, January 19, 2023, 12:30 - 1:30 p.m.
Upcoming Application Windows
Applications are reviewed during designated open application windows throughout the calendar year.
Before applying, please be sure you’ll be available to attend the corresponding mandatory orientation session and meet the attendance requirement of serving one, 3-4 hour shift per week for a minimum of six months.
You'll begin volunteering within one week of the orientation session.
- Applications Open: Wednesday, July 20 at 10 am – Monday, July 25 at 12 p.m.
- Mandatory Meet & Greet/Information Session via Zoom: Friday, July 29 at 10 a.m. or Tuesday, August 2 at 6 p.m.
- Mandatory In-Person Orientation: Wednesday, August 31 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
The Volunteer Services Department will respond to all applications within 10 days of the close of the application window
*Please note: At this time, High School Student applications are only accepted at Inova Alexandria Hospital for the summer program. For details on this program check back in early March.