Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Inova Fairfax Medical Campus! Volunteering will give you the opportunity to get an "inside look" at a medical campus while learning about support functions in patient care and retail operations.
Volunteer Opportunities for High School Students
There are six areas where high school students are able to serve. These areas will be discussed in detail during the information meeting. We will do our best to accommodate your preference if an opening in that particular area is available.
- Gift Shops: Assist visitors with selections and purchases in three onsite stores; help shop staff with other retail functions
- Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP): Work with older patients offering assistance and activities that keep them mentally and physically active; activities include talking, helping with meals and walking/mobility assistance
- Medical Library: Shelve or copy materials, assist staff with computer tasks
- Patient Support Services: Discharge patients via wheelchair; transport patients via wheelchair to procedures; deliver flowers, patient mail and laboratory items
- Pediatric High School Volunteer (summer only): Assist the Child Life Specialists in organizing and providing activities, disinfecting toys, and performing clerical tasks as directed
- Treasure Trove Resale stores: Assist customers with selections; create displays; help shop staff with other retail functions – Get details on volunteering at the Treasure Troves
The high school student volunteer program receives a high volume of interest and applicants. As a result, selection to the program is by lottery. As a benefit of Inova employment, children of Inova employees are exempt from the lottery. Please review the dates below carefully, as fulfilling the commitment is a major determinant for placement. Note: Students who are selected and participate in a session's entirety will have the opportunity to continue for future sessions.
- Review the details below and decide which session works best for your schedule.
- Once you have selected a session, register by clicking here during the registration period.
All volunteer activity is suspended due to COVID-19.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I Don’t Get Selected in the Lottery, Do I Have to Register Again for a Future Session?
Yes, you will need to register again for a future session.
What If I Want to Volunteer More Than One Session?
Once you have served one session in its entirety, you'll have opportunity to participate in a future session by going to the "Experienced HS Volunteers" page to register. As an experienced volunteer, you are not required to enter the lottery process.
What If I Need to Be Absent During My Session?
Absences are not permitted. Illness will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
What Happens During Training Class?
Important safety requirements for being in a hospital setting will be reviewed, you’ll receive your I.D. badge and uniform, and you’ll be guided on a short tour of the hospital and your assignment area.
How Long Is a Volunteer Shift?
A shift is 3-4 hours depending on the service area assignment.
Do You Offer Opportunities for Court-Mandated Community Service?
Only the resale stores accept volunteers required to perform court-mandated community service. For details, visit Inova Treasure Troves.