Inova Neurosurgery is part of Inova Neurosciences, a regional leader in the diagnosis, treatment and research of complex neurological conditions involving the brain, spine and nervous system. Inova Neurosciences is based in Northern Virginia and serves the greater Washington, DC, region.
Inova is a five-hospital health system with the latest surgical technologies, a neurocritical care ICU and Northern Virginia’s only Level 1 Trauma Center at its flagship Inova Fairfax Medical Campus. Inova Neurosurgery includes 12 neurosurgeons, neurosurgery residents and 22 neurosurgery APPs.
Inova Neurosurgery is a high-acuity service consisting of 12 neurosurgeons, neurosurgery residents and 22 neurosurgery advanced practice providers (APPs). It is the largest neurosurgical practice in Northern Virginia, with a volume of more than 3,500 cases per year. Our specialists include experts in neurovascular, endovascular, spine, complex spine, movement disorders, deep brain stimulation, neuro-oncology and neurotrauma.
Neurosurgery APP Fellowship Progam
- DEA license
- Graduate of an accredited PA program (or eligible at time of interview)
- PANCE eligible through National Commission on Certification of PAs at the time of interview
- PANCE certification by matriculation
- VA license
- DEA license
- Graduate of an accredited adult, acute care, family, or adult/gerontology nurse practitioner program (MSN or DNP), or eligible at the time of the interview
- Board certified or eligible for board certification at the time of the interview
- Board certification by matriculation
- VA license
- Recognizing, diagnosing and managing neurosurgical disease processes with increasing autonomy
- Experiencing pre-operative, operative and post-operative inpatient and outpatient care
- Attending and participating in weekly academic conferences, critical care lectures, didactic sessions and quality improvement conferences
- Performing procedures such as lumbar drain, intracranial pressure monitor and external ventricular drain placement
- Preparing and giving lectures during individual rotations
- Participating in evidence-based journal club
- Gaining an increasing understanding of neurosurgical illness, pathophysiology and best practice
- Collaborating with the neurosurgical team, consulting services, patients and families
- Learning through inpatient teaching rounds
- Having operating room instruction
Inova’s neurosurgery APP fellowship runs for 12 months from October to October. Applications are due by May 1 of the academic year, and new fellows start Oct. 1. The neurosurgery APP fellow will gain invaluable neurosurgical experience through a 12-month postgraduate clinical training program held at the Inova Fairfax Medical Campus and Inova Center for Personalized Health.
The fellow will have a structured rotation with the inpatient and outpatient services including:
- Inpatient and outpatient neurosurgical services
- Neurocritical care
- General and stroke neurology
- Neurointerventional radiology
- Operating room*
*In addition to a high volume of bedside procedures, the neurosurgery APP fellow will have training in the operating room.
Marianne Vyas PhD, ANP-BC, Neurosurgery APP Fellowship Director, Inova Neurosciences, in conjunction with James W. Leiphart, MD, PhD, Director of Education, Inova Neurosciences; Program Director, Neurosurgery Residency Program, Inova Neurosciences
How to Apply
Please submit your application to Marianne Vyas, PhD, ANP-BC, Neurosurgery APP Fellowship Director, Inova Neurosciences, at email@example.com
Include the following materials with your application:
- ACLS/BLS certifications
- CV with cover letter
- License and certification (or eligibility)
- Two letters of recommendation, one from a current program director/clinical coordinator or most recent supervising/collaborating physician or APP
Email questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org