The pediatric hospital medicine (PHM) fellowship program at Inova Children’s Hospital is designed to foster the development of hospitalists who will become experts in clinical medicine, education and research. Graduates of our program will be equipped with the skills needed to serve as leaders in PHM, advancing healthcare for children and adolescents.
Inova Children’s Hospital at a Glance
- We are a Level 1 trauma center and have 226 pediatric beds. Our hospitalists are the primary healthcare providers for the 48-bed medical/surgical unit and much of the 22-bed intermediate care unit, totaling about 90 percent of all patients admitted to the general pediatric floors.
- We are home to one of the nation’s busiest obstetric programs, with approximately 11,000 deliveries per year. About 70 percent of all newborns in the 89-bed nursery are cared for by our PHM physicians.
- We have a 108-bed level IV neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) and 26-bed pediatric intensive care unit (PICU), eight of which comprise the cardiovascular intensive care unit.
- Our physicians regularly collaborate with more than 20 pediatric subspecialists, including pediatric neurology, cardiology, gastroenterology, endocrinology, nephrology and others.
- Our hospitalists also assist with the management of medically complex pediatric surgery and orthopedic patients and provide primary postoperative care to pediatric otolaryngology, neurosurgery and plastic surgery patients.
About the PHM Fellowship
Number of fellows per academic year: One
Duration of training: Two years