EpicCare’s Mobile Apps Keep You Connected with Your Patients, Your Practice and Your Fellow Physicians – Wherever You Are – 24/7
Haiku is EpicCare’s mobile app for the iPhone® and Droid®. Canto is the mobile app for the iPad®. These two apps give Inova’s practitioners secure and portable access to patient charts. Whether you are in the hallways of your practice, rounding at the hospital or relaxing at home, accessing your patients’ information is easy and convenient.
Details and Functionality
Both Haiku and Canto provide easy access to chart review, patient lists, schedules, and messaging. Specific functions of both applications include:
- Find patients in the system
- Access patient lists
- Access your outpatient schedule
- Search the database for patients not on your list or schedule
- Review and update patient information
- Keep up to date on medications, allergies, immunizations, medical history or the problem list
- View reports about outpatient encounters including diagnosis and orders
- View reports on inpatient encounters including admission notes, vitals, active orders and discharge.
- Review previous encounters
- Review patient results including labs and imaging; and see new or abnormal results immediately
- Read and reply to Staff and Results messages from InBasket
- Mobile Ordering
- For licensed clinicians, Haiku and Canto offers integrated Speech-to-Text with Dragon
For Canto users, you'll have more tools to complete workflows you could previously only complete in Hyperspace:
- Use system or personal SmartTools such as SmartPhrases and SmartLists to complete notes
- Epic Monitor: a flexible, inpatient review tool that condenses critical parts of a patient's chart for a quick and intuitive review workflow.
Who We Provision For
We provision for Inova Health System. If you are not affiliated with Inova, please contact the IT department of the facility you are affiliated with for more information.
Safe and Secure
Haiku and Canto are completely secure and confidential with two-factor authentication. You can easily download an ‘initializer’ app called ‘Epic Authenticator’ from the App Store (for either Apple or Android). Once you have downloaded the app, you simply ‘enroll’ your device from within Epic Hyperspace. The set-up is a one-time process and you will only need to authenticate once every 12 hours. There is no need to use a fob to access Haiku or Canto.
Easy to Learn, Easy to Use
Just like other applications already on your mobile devices, Haiku and Canto are designed to be intuitive. With the Physician Quick Start Guide, you can learn to use them quickly and easily. Many physicians report the Guide is all they need to get up to speed immediately.
As of January 26, 2022, to use Haiku or Canto, you will need to enroll one of your mobile devices with Epic’s two-factor authentication (2FA) application. See the instructions below under ‘Setting Up Your Device.’
Quick Facts About the New Two-Factor Authentication Process
- If you have been using Haiku and Canto prior to two-factor authentication, you do not need to update or change your device settings after completing the enrollment process.
- If you use both Haiku and Canto, you DO NOT need to download the Epic Authenticator application on both devices. However, have both devices in hand when enrolling. You should download it on the device you use most frequently. You will receive a notification on your other device to approve.
Configuring Haiku or Canto On Your Personal Device
Enroll in Epic's Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) App
Haiku and Canto on personal devices now requires Two-Factor Authentication (2FA). To complete the enrollment process for 2FA:
- Download the "Epic Authenticator" App from your devices App Store
- Login to Epic Hyperspace
- Search (Ctrl + Space) & click "Two Factor Authentication Enrollment"
- Follow instructions in Epic and the Epic Authenticator app to complete the enrollment process
Setting Up Haiku and Canto on Your Device
- Download Haiku (phone) or Canto (iPad) from your device’s app store. There is no charge to download the app.
- After the download is complete, close the app as you will need to complete the instructions below in order to set it up.
- In order to link your device to Inova, you'll need to use the password protected configuration file indicated below.
- If you do not already have the password, refer to the Haiku and Canto Setup Guide for Personal Devices on InovaNet.
- Click the appropriate link from your device: Configuration for Haiku or Configuration for Canto.
When you click the link, your device will be configured to access Inova's Epic environment. The configuration link will ask if you want to open Haiku or Canto. Once the selected app opens, it will ask for the configuration password. Enter the password to complete the setup. You're all set. At the login screen of Haiku/Canto, use the same username and password you use to login to Epic Hyperspace.
Troubleshooting Your Setup
I just changed my password in Epic and I am unable to log in to Haiku or Canto?
Your login information is always in sync with Epic Hyperspace. If you've configured your device to use Face ID or Touch ID, you'll need to enter your new password manually the first time. After a successful login, you will be prompted to update your biometric login.
I currently use Haiku or Canto to access an EHR from another Health Organization. Can I use the same app to access both Inova and the other Health Organization?
Yes. After you've completed the setup instructions below, you can toggle between Inova and the other health care organization by tapping the top banner from the app's login screen. Be sure to use the correct username and password based on what organization you accessing.