What Are Haiku and Canto?
Haiku is EpicCare’s mobile application for iPhone or Android. Canto is the mobile app for the iPad. These apps give you secure and portable access to the entire EpicCare EMR and keep you connected to your patients and fellow physicians 24/7. You can use Haiku and Canto any time you are away from a computer – whether you are in the hallways of your practice, rounding at the hospital or on call.
What Can I Do with Haiku and Canto?
Haiku and Canto provide easy access to chart review, patient lists, schedules, search, messaging, and clinical image capture. Here are some specific things you can do:
- Find your patients. Access patient lists and your patient schedule or search the database for patients not on your list or schedule.
- Review patient information. See a snapshot of medications, allergies or the problem list. Stay up to date on patient status and immediately identify those with new results or notes. See outpatient or inpatient encounters, including admission information, notes, vitals and active orders.
- Review previous encounters including progress notes.
- Review patient results. Find lab and imaging.
- Manage InBasket. Read and reply to Staff and Results messages, or send follow-up reminders.
- Contact care team members. Follow up with a prescribing physician or discuss patient results.
- Mobile ordering. Clinicians have access to tools that allow them to complete basic inpatient and outpatient ordering workflows (iOS only).
- For licensed clinicians, Haiku and Canto offers integrated Speech-to-Text with Dragon
- Epic Monitor: a flexible review tool that condenses critical parts of a patient's chart for a quick and intuitive review workflow.
- Secure Chat workflows such as sending and receiving messages and updating your status.
Where Can I Find the Password for the Configuration When I am Ready?
The password for the configuration can be found on InovaNet. On our Haiku and Canto tip sheets page, there is a tip sheet that outlines the setup process which includes the configuration password.
Where Can I Use Haiku and Canto?
You can use Haiku and Canto anywhere – at your office, in the hospital, at home, anywhere you can use your mobile device.
Why Is It Important That I Have These Apps?
Haiku and Canto keep EpicCare at your fingertips wherever you are. They keep you connected with your patients, your practice and your fellow physicians 24/7.
Will I Need Training to Learn to Use Haiku or Canto?
Just like other mobile applications, Haiku and Canto are designed to be intuitive so training should be minimal. We will provide you with the Physician Quick Start Guide, which includes everything you need to know about using this convenient app. Many physicians report that they are able to quickly learn and use Haiku and Canto with just the Quick Start Guide for reference.
How Secure Are Haiku and Canto?
Haiku and Canto are designed to be completely secure and confidential and use two-factor authentication.
Do I Need Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) to use Haiku and Canto?
Yes. To use these applications, you will need to enroll only one of your mobile devices using 2FA. You can find the instructions on enrollment below under "Configuring Haiku or Canto on Your Personal Device."
If I've been using Haiku and Canto prior to the 2FA requirement, do I need to re-configure the device or do anything in Haiku and Canto once I complete the 2FA enrollment process?
No. enrolling in 2FA is all that is needed. Your device settings do not need to be changed or updated.
When will I be required to user Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) for Haiku and Canto?
Users using Haiku and Canto on their personal devices will be required to perform 2FA if it has been more than 12 hours from the last time they've used 2FA or if they've had more than 3 failed login attempts within the last 5 minutes.
I use both Haiku and Canto. Do I need to download the Epic Authenticator app on both devices and enroll them?
No. You just need to download and register the app on one device. You should download it on the device you use most frequently. The device that does not have the Epic Authenticator app installed will not receive the push notification to approve. But you can approve from the device that did receive the 2FA approval request on and you will be logged in to Haiku or Canto automatically. If you download and complete the two-factor authentication on multiple devices, only the most recent device you configured has the correct passcode. This is why you should only setup one device.
Can I use other Authenticator apps like Microsoft's?
Yes. But features like receiving a push notification to approve 2FA are not integrated with Epic and you will have to enter the passcode manually. Currently, only the Epic Authenticator app is integrated with Inova's Epic environment to receive the push notification to either approve or deny 2FA.
How Do I Access Haiku and Canto?
Start Your Download Process via the instructions located at the bottom of this page.
Can I Do Billing with These Apps?
No. Haiku and Canto do not have a billing function.
How Can I Get More Information?
For more information, email email@example.com.
Configuring Haiku or Canto On Your Personal Device
Enroll in Epic's Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) App
Haiku and Canto on personal devices now requires Two-Factor Authentication (2FA). To complete the enrollment process for 2FA:
- Download the "Epic Authenticator" App from your devices App Store
- Login to Epic Hyperspace
- Search (Ctrl + Space) & click "Two Factor Authentication Enrollment"
- Follow instructions in Epic and the Epic Authenticator app to complete the enrollment process
Setting Up Haiku and Canto on Your Device
- Download Haiku (phone) or Canto (iPad) from your device’s app store. There is no charge to download the app.
- After the download is complete, close the app as you will need to complete the instructions below in order to set it up.
- In order to link your device to Inova, you'll need to use the password protected configuration file indicated below.
- If you do not already have the password, refer to the Haiku and Canto Setup Guide for Personal Devices on InovaNet.
- Click the appropriate link from your device: Configuration for Haiku or Configuration for Canto.
When you click the link, your device will be configured to access Inova's Epic environment. The configuration link will ask if you want to open Haiku or Canto. Once the selected app opens, it will ask for the configuration password. Enter the password to complete the setup. You're all set. At the login screen of Haiku/Canto, use the same username and password you use to login to Epic Hyperspace.
Troubleshooting Your Setup
I just changed my password in Epic and I am unable to log in to Haiku or Canto?
Your login information is always in sync with Epic Hyperspace. If you've configured your device to use Face ID or Touch ID, you'll need to enter your new password manually the first time. After a successful login, you will be prompted to update your biometric login.
I currently use Haiku or Canto to access an EHR from another Health Organization. Can I use the same app to access both Inova and the other Health Organization?
Yes. After you've completed the setup instructions below, you can toggle between Inova and the other health care organization by tapping the top banner from the app's login screen. Be sure to use the correct username and password based on what organization you accessing.