Your Safety Is Our First Concern
Good communication is a key to having a positive hospital experience and being involved in decisions regarding your healthcare. Inova Loudoun Hospital has adopted the National Patient Safety Goals. These goals are designed to improve the safety of the healthcare system.
- Expect that every caregiver will check your armband prior to all interventions to properly identify you.
- Know that your caregivers have been educated to avoid the use of certain abbreviations that can be confused with one another.
- Be aware of the medications you are taking. Ask what medications you are receiving and what they are for, especially if any look unfamiliar. Inform your healthcare provider of any food or drug allergies.
- Provide a complete list of your current medications upon admission to the hospital. Be sure a complete list of your medications is communicated to your next provider of care when you are transferred or referred to another practitioner, setting, or service within our outside the hospital.
- Ask your caregiver about currently accepted hand hygiene practices.
- Wear rubber-soled shoes/slippers to prevent falls. Follow your healthcare provider’s instructions about getting out of bed. Please ask for help when getting out of bed.
- Assist your surgical team in identifying your surgical site.
- Ask any questions if you are not sure about what you need to do once you return home.