* For information regarding the inpatient behavioral health admissions process, please call the Inova Behavioral Health Services Call Center at 703-289-7560 during normal business hours. If you feel someone is in need of urgent behavioral health services, please proceed to the nearest emergency room or call 911.
Supporting Recovery’s First Steps
The decision to stop using drugs or alcohol is a brave choice. For nearly everyone, the beginning stages of recovery are emotionally and psychologically difficult. But for some, the early days of recovery also come with significant physical symptoms of withdrawal. Inova’s CATS program recognizes the unique treatment needs of those who are trying to establish sobriety, with or without other mental health diagnoses. Our inpatient medical detox unit is dedicated solely to addressing those needs, and this sets Inova apart from other providers in Northern Virginia.
Withdrawal Safely from Drugs and Alcohol
Medical detox is designed to medically manage the uncomfortable and potentially life-threatening physical symptoms of withdrawal from drugs and alcohol. Our goal is to support recovery by reducing these symptoms and side effects.
Our program offers a safe environment that supports the physical, psychological and emotional effects of substance withdrawal. Medical support is paired with group and individual therapy using a patient- and family-centered approach. We’re here to support individuals as they take those first, crucial steps toward recovery.
How long patients spend on the medical detox unit will depend on individual progress. Typically, patients stay with us for three to seven days. After discharge, care can continue in our CATS outpatient programs
- Detailed intake assessment with medical evaluation
- Psychiatric evaluation, when needed
- 24-hour medical monitoring
- Symptom management with medication
- Collaborative, patient-centered treatment approach with a multidisciplinary team
- Patient-directed goal setting
- Group therapy throughout the day, covering topics including coping skills, anxiety management, boundary setting, motivational interviewing techniques and addiction’s effect on the brain
- Individual counseling
- Patient and family education
- Discharge planning and transition to next level of care
The goal of our multidisciplinary team is to help patients go through the detoxification process safely, while supporting the first days of recovery. Team members include physicians, nurse practitioners, licensed professional counselors, clinical social workers, nurses and other clinical staff.
Inova’s CATS Inpatient Medical Detox Unit is located at Inova Fairfax Hospital. Access the unit through the Professional Services Building entrance by the blue parking garage.
The CATS inpatient program, located at Inova Fairfax Hospital, allows patients to medically and safely detoxify. Following, patients return home and our aim is for them to begin an outpatient recovery program. We invite you to take a tour of our facility and get an overview of the CATS inpatient medical detox unit.