Mammography is a safe and effective low-dose X-ray of the breast used to help diagnose breast diseases and abnormalities. The major advantage of mammography is it can identify problems at a very early and treatable stage. Breast cancer, for example, can be discovered as early as two years before it is evident during a physical examination.
All Inova locations offer 3D mammograms, also known as tomosynthesis.
- Screening mammograms are used to detect breast cancer in women who have no apparent symptoms.
- Diagnostic mammograms are used after suspicious results on a screening mammogram or after some signs of possible breast cancer, such as a lump.
A mammogram alone cannot prove that an abnormal area is cancer but, they help physicians decide whether more testing is needed.
Before Your Procedure
Please arrive 15 minutes before your appointment time. Please do not eat or drink after midnight the night before your abdominal vascular ultrasound.
Bring the following information with you:
- A signed prescription for an imaging study (unless your doctor’s office has either faxed an order or indicated they entered the order directly into Inova’s electronic medical records system)
- Insurance card
- Photo ID (e.g., license, passport)
- Any previous exam films and reports performed at a non-Inova facility, including X-rays, mammograms, MRIs, CT scans and ultrasounds
- Implant card, if applicable