What is a Direct Address?
- Direct Address is a standard for securely exchanging patient information between providers through each provider's EMR
- It is similar to an email communication between EMRs and meets HIPAA requirements as information is encrypted
- The Direct Address looks like an email address – often containing the word direct – and is obtained through your EMR vendor
- Electronic exchange of Summary of Care (SOC) documents is a key CMS requirement for promoting interoperability metrics under the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS)
- Direct address can be set up as a unique address for the practice and/or for each provider in the practice
How to Connect your EMR to Inova’s EMR via Direct Address
- Contact your EMR vendor who can help you find your direct address
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to provide your direct address to Inova and to request direct addresses for Inova providers
Benefits of Direct Address:
- If you have not provided your Direct Address to Inova, the Summary of Care (SOC) of the care your patient receives at Inova will be faxed to your office. Most offices prefer the efficiency of receiving the SOC digitally via direct address.
- You can reduce faxes from Inova – reducing expenses related to paper, toner, and office staff sorting/scanning key information into the chart
- If you or your practice's EMR is connected to Inova’s EMR (Epic) via Direct Address, then the Summary of Care (SOC) will be automatically incorporated into your patient’s medical chart in your EMR