How to Register for Diabetes Education
Lea la version en español: Cómo registrarse para el programa de educación en diabetes
The following forms and information are required for all programs except the Pre-diabetes Program. If you have questions, contact the Inova Diabetes Center location where you will be receiving services.
- Ask your physician to complete an order form.
Print a physician order form for diabetes education to take to your doctor. Inova Diabetes Center requires an order form from your doctor to provide services.
- Choose a location.
Find the location for the class or program that interests you and call to reserve a spot.
- Check with your insurance company about coverage.
Some insurance companies also require pre-authorization to cover our services.
- Print out and complete an assessment form.
Print the appropriate forms below that you need for your first appointment. If you have not completed the assessment form prior to your appointment, please arrive 20 to 30 minutes early to allow adequate time to complete the form.
Assessment forms: (All in PDF format)
- Print out and complete the Registration Form.
- If requested, complete a three-day food and activity record.
You may be asked to complete a 3-day food and activity record prior to your appointment. Record your food, beverage and portion sizes on this food record sheet and bring with you.
- At your first appointment, come prepared to:
- Make your co-pay when you check in. We accept payment by check, debit card or Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover card.
- Provide current laboratory results such as hemoglobin A1C, glucose and lipid profile if available
- Show your insurance card
- Bring your blood glucose meter if you have one
- We encourage you to bring one support person with you to your appointments
Insurance Coverage for Diabetes Education
Fees for Inova Diabetes Center programs are set individually. Many insurance plans cover diabetes education, but it is important you confirm coverage in advance with your insurance company. Call your plan's customer service number and ask if diabetes self-management training is covered.
For most group classes or individual consultations, we bill your insurance company directly. Co-payments, if applicable, are due at the time of your visit. The Preventing Diabetes Program is a self-pay program you pay for at the time of registration.
Download an order form for diabetes education to take to your physician.