As part of the Geriatrics Medicine Service at Inova, geriatrics clinicians work closely with a patient’s physicians, nurses and therapists to maintain a safe environment, prevent complications and preserve function and dignity. In addition, the team works to improve comfort and quality of life, identify potential age-related issues, and keep communication open and coordinated among team members and family members.
Inpatient Geriatrics Service
The Inpatient Geriatrics Service at Inova Fairfax Medical Campus provides consultation initiatives in collaboration with specialists, hospitalists, nurses and the Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP). It also provides standard rotation site for pharmacy students, internal medicine residents and psychiatry residents.
For more information, call 703-776-3582.
Program Manager: Currently Recruiting
Geriatrics Grand Rounds
The Geriatrics Grand Rounds is a Continuing Medical Education (CME) multidisciplinary rounds that is held the 4th Wednesday of the month from January through October and is free to attend. Attendees include healthcare professionals from many disciplines at Inova and the community that provide care to elderly patients. 1.0 CME credit is available to claim after attending.
Advanced Illness and Geriatrics (Outpatient Services)
Assessment and Care Coordination Services
- Assessment of physical function and cognition: Seniors are at risk for developing confusion and loss of physical function in the hospital. Preventing and treating delirium and advocating for staying as mobile as possible with proper nutrition will help to improve outcomes.
- Assistance in supporting and coordinating treatment choices and decisions, and establishing goals of care: Often times, information about the illness and care can be confusing and overwhelming. Deciding on future treatments can be difficult and complex. We can serve as a resource to help you and your loved ones discuss new information or concerns while respecting your values and personal choices.
- Assessment of appropriate medications: Seniors may be prescribed many different medications. Assessing the need, dosing and interactions of these medications is essential to safe and quality care.
- Assessment and treatment of pain and other symptoms: Pain and other burdensome symptoms such as swallowing difficulties, weight loss, mood and sleep disturbance, agitation and incontinence can affect a senior’s quality of life. Recommendations can be made for how to manage these symptoms.
- Assistance in planning for and managing care after hospitalization: Several options for care exist outside of the hospital. We can serve as a resource to help you and your loved ones choose services, based on medical, functional, psychosocial needs, personal preferences and community resources.
How to Support Our Program
Any interested donor may contribute iPods or make a monetary donation towards the IFH Geriatrics Music and Memory program, the "Memory Pets" stuffed animal therapy program, or any other Inova Fairfax Hospital geriatrics program. Donations of iPods would be a Gift In Kind, which requires printing out and submitting the Gift in Kind form
Interested donors can contribute to the Inova Fairfax Hospital Geriatric Fund/Fund #403. The IFH Geriatric Fund provides for broad usage within the context of the care of geriatrics patients at Inova Fairfax Hospital. The uses could be (among other things), equipment and/or supplies, professional education, seminars and teaching days, research and community health, and/or capital needs.
Checks should be made payable to the Inova Health Foundation. On the memo portion of a check or a small note accompanying the donation, it can be specified who the contribution is made in honor or memory of and that it's to be earmarked for IFH Geriatrics Fund/Fund #403. Checks can be mailed to:
Inova Health Foundation
8110 Gatehouse Road, Suite 200 East
Falls Church, VA 22042