The Inova Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease Program provides exceptional care to our patients through screenings, advanced imaging and treatments, surgical intervention, and rehabilitation. We combine the latest technologies with compassionate and individualized support. All of our hospitals have in-hospital stroke experts who work effectively with local Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and coordinated care teams for prompt and effective treatment of acute strokes, as well as rehabilitative care and post stroke medical management. Each Inova hospital has a dedicated Stroke Medical Director.
Conditions We Treat
- Arteriovenous malformation
- Aneurysms associated with moyamoya disease
- Intracerebral hemorrhage
- Ischemic stroke
- Post stroke complications
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Transient ischemic attack
The Inova Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease Program employs a variety of leading-edge treatment options aided by the latest in neuro-imaging technology. We offer:
- Advanced Imaging (CT and MRI scans)
- AVM resection
- AVM stereotactic radiosurgery
- Aneurysm clipping
- Aneurysm coiling
- Aneurysm flow diversion
- Aneurysm hunting
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Carotid stenting
- Cerebral aneurysm
- Cerebral bypass
- Coil embolization
- Endovascular thrombectomy
- Endovascular NBCA and Onyx embolization]
- Intravenous Thrombolysis (t-PA)
- Medication and medication management (including blood thinners)
- RAPID software technology for advanced visualization of the brain for expedited stroke evaluation and diagnosis
- Post stroke care and rehabilitation
Our medical team, in addition to having expertise in stroke treatment, coordinates comprehensive rehabilitative services for patients that need therapy for any physical or neurological deficits resulting from stroke. Our outstanding Rehabilitative Services Program, led by board-certified physician specialists, includes a dedicated team of skilled and credentialed therapists and speech pathologists who collaborate to improve outcomes through a comprehensive stroke recovery plan at inpatient and outpatient locations.
Notable Points about the Inova Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease Program
- Specially trained stroke response teams assess incoming stroke patients at all five Inova hospitals. In cases of acute stroke, an immediate neurological history and physical examination is carried out.
- We work closely with EMS and regional emergency departments to coordinate seamless access to appropriate and expeditious treatment of all stroke patients in and outside our region. Triage protocol includes a call to the stroke response team to evaluate all patients presenting with stroke-like symptoms.
- We offer sophisticated brain imaging and monitoring equipment, including computerized tomography (CT), magnetic imaging (MR), magnetic resonance angiography (MRA) and RAPID software technology.
- Patients are closely monitored by specially trained nursing staff.
Stroke Research and Education
We participate in stroke research and clinical trials as well as education through community and continuing medical education events.
Inova is also a member of the Stroke National Capital Area Network for Research (SCANR). SCANR is the regional clinical trial network of the NIH StrokeNET Program, covering the Mid-Atlantic region and headquartered in Washington, DC and Charlottesville, VA. Saqib Chaudhry, MD, is Inova’s principal investigator.