The Colorectal Surgery Program at Inova includes the area's top fellowship trained surgeons specializing in the surgical treatment of conditions related to the colon and rectum using the latest surgical techniques and state-of-the-art equipment.
- Colon and rectal cancer with sphincter preservation when possible
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Complex colon, rectal and anal conditions
- Pelvic floor disorders: rectal prolapse, fecal incontinence, multidisciplinary conference with urogynecologists
Colorectal cases are performed at all five Inova hospitals, bringing patients in Northern Virginia an unparalleled level of care.
Inova's Colorectal Surgery Highlights
- Over 700 inpatient colorectal cases are performed per year at Inova, with over half at Inova Fairfax Hospital
- Inova has the fastest growing colorectal robotics program in Northern Virginia
- Our Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) program, focusing on early mobilization and feeding, optimization of fluid, and reduced narcotic requirements, is decreasing length of stay and improving recovery time
- Participation with national standards programs such as the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP), Surgical Care Improvement Project (SCIP), and America College of Surgeons – National Cancer Database (NCDB)
- Our physicians are using research studies to implement system-wide initiatives such as C. diff protocols, genetic marker IDs for rectal cancer, and protocols to reduce readmissions
- Better minimally invasive rate than the national average, according to the Annals of Surgery