Recovering from the COVID-19 Virus The Road to Recovery
For many people whose bodies have been affected by COVID-19, the road to recovery is just beginning when they leave the hospital or recover at home.
The virus can affect many different systems within the body – from the lungs, to the heart, to the muscles that make walking and talking possible. People recovering from COVID-19 may experience a combination of cognitive, psychological, and physical signs and symptoms that remain for weeks to months after the virus leaves the body. The Post-COVID-19 Care Centers at Inova provide a wide array of interdisciplinary services with the goal of supporting recovery from physical, cognitive and psychological symptoms.
Get Started with a Post COVID-19 Rehab Evaluation
- To schedule an initial evaluation, a physician's referral is needed. Contact your doctor for a prescription for physical therapy, occupational therapy, and/or speech evaluation and treatment.
- Post COVID-19 Rehabilitation services are available at all five Inova hospitals. Please call your preferred Inova Rehabilitation Center. See locations below.
- Please note: Pulmonary Rehabilitation is offered at Inova Alexandria, Inova Fairfax and Inova Loudoun hospitals.
Long-Term Symptoms of COVID-19
Common Long-term Symptoms of COVID-19 May Include:
|Physical Symptoms||Cognitive Symptoms||Psychological Symptoms|
|Difficulty breathing||Difficulty with memory||Anxiety|
|Weakness and balance problems||Trouble concentrating||Depression|
|Pain or numbness||Slowed mental processing||PTSD|
|Difficulty walking||Trouble carrying out daily tasks||Sleep problems|
When to Seek Rehabilitation Services
If you or someone you love is suffering from any of these symptoms for more than two weeks after COVID-19 symptoms resolve, you may benefit from an evaluation by one or more of our specialists.
Starting a rehabilitation program soon after recovery can help you get back to your normal life and activities as quickly as possible.
Your Care Team
Your Care Team May Include:
- Medical Provider
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation Specialists
- Mental Health Providers
The initial evaluation will be individualized for each patient, and it is likely to include the following:
- Review of medical and pulmonary history
- Mobility, strength and balance assessment
- Cognitive assessment
- Assessment of activities of daily living, home management and return to work
- Screening for depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)