The Internal Medicine Residency Program is primarily based at the Inova Fairfax Medical Campus (IFMC) for inpatient rotations on the general wards, intensive care units, emergency medicine, general medicine consult services as well as the inpatient portions of sub-specialty consultative services. The outpatient electives as well as ambulatory training are provided by IFMC faculty members in Inova specialty clinics, select Inova-associated community practices and Inova Internal Medicine Group clinic locations. Additionally, second and third year residents have an opportunity to do elective rotations at the National Institutes of Health in Rheumatology, Endocrinology, Infectious Diseases and Medical Oncology. During the second and third year, residents will also have the option of pursuing away electives at other institutions as well as creating an individualized curriculum with specialized rotations such as a procedure month with the critical care team or a research month.
IFMC Internal Medicine residents have the privilege of using the state-of-the-art Inova Center for Advanced Medical Simulation (ICAMS).
Sessions are individualized during the PGY 1 year and focus on central line placement, airway management, ultrasound, hemodynamics, and lumbar puncture. Interns are supervised by critical care faculty. Second and third-year residents participate in mock-code scenarios with critical care faculty.
Central Venous Catheterization
- Central Venous Catheterization Curriculum, Goals and Objectives
- Central Venous Catheterization — NEJM Article
- Central Venous Catheterization — NEJM Training Video
- Lumbar Puncture Curriculum, Goals and Objectives
- Lumbar Puncture — NEJM Article
- Lumbar Puncture — NEJM Training Video
- Thoracentesis — NEJM Article
- Thoracentesis — NEJM Training Video
- CVC Subclavian Vein — NEJM Article
- CVC Subclavian Vein — NEJM Training Video
- Paracentesis — NEJM Article
- Paracentesis — NEJM Training Video
- Femoral Venous Catheter — NEJM Article
- Femoral Venous Catheter — NEJM Training Video
- Arterial Line — NEJM Article
- Arterial Line— NEJM Training Video
- Nasogastric Intubation — NEJM Article
- Nasogastric Intubation — NEJM Training Video