Breastfeeding is one of the most important decisions you will make for yourself and your baby. The International Board Certified Lactation Consultants® (IBCLC®) at Inova Women's Hospital are here to help you succeed and make breastfeeding a satisfying experience.
Prenatal Breastfeeding Services
- InovaWell Prenatal Classes
- Breastfeeding Medicine Specialist available to do prenatal consults for mothers with medical problems that could cause breastfeeding difficulty (previous breast surgery, questions about medications and breastfeeding, difficulty with breastfeeding a previous child, expecting an infant with cleft lip or palate)
Lactation Services during Your Hospital Stay
- Inpatient breastfeeding class with mother and infant
- Bedside breastfeeding evaluations and problem-solving as needed
- Neonatal intensive care nursery visits for premature infants or infants with special needs
- Multidisciplinary team approach to breastfeeding issues with your obstetrician/nurse
Outpatient Breastfeeding Services
- Breastfeeding Medicine Service is available at Inova Medical Group Obstetrics and Gynecology in Falls Church.
- Lactation Consultation with certified IBCLC® Registered Nurse staff available by appointment in the Women’s Boutique. A service fee applies. Appointments can be scheduled by calling 703-776-6455.
- Infant weight check
- Breast evaluation
- Latch evaluation
- Lactation success planning
- Free Breastfeeding Mothers Support Group
Our Breastfeeding Mothers Support Group meets on Thursdays in the hospital from 10 to 11 a.m. This group is facilitated by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, and a baby scale is available for weight checks. Participation in this support group is free, and registration is not required. Parking in the Green garage is complimentary.
- Lactation Phone Support – Please leave a detailed message on our Lactation Warm Line by calling 703-776-4402.
- Hospital Grade Breast Pump Rentals in the Women’s Boutique
- Nursing Bra Fittings in the Women's Boutique