To ensure effective communication with patients, their family members, and companions who are deaf or hard of hearing, we provide auxiliary aids and services free of charge. These include:
- Sign language and oral interpreters
- Video remote interpreting (VRI), enabled with point to point video calls (VRS), text functionality (TTY), and access to national relay service (711)
- Written materials
- Telephone handset amplifiers
- Assistive listening devices (marketed as Pocketalker)
- Telephones compatible with hearing aids
- Open and closed captioning of most hospital programs
Please note the additional information below about our interpreter services and how to obtain them, including medical interpreters for languages other than English. Ask your nurse or other hospital personnel for assistance, or contact 703-776-7641.
Interpreters and Auxiliary Aids
The Language Services Program at Inova provides professional medical interpreters to patients and their companions who are limited-English-proficient or who are deaf. Interpreters are available 24/7 to all patients and families for appointments, procedures and hospital stays. There is no cost to patients or families for interpretation at the hospital. The hospital provides appropriate auxiliary aids free of charge, including: TTYs, written materials, telephone handset amplifiers, assistive listening devices and systems, telephones compatible with hearing aides, closed caption decoders, and open and closed captioning of most hospital programs. Please contact the Patient Relations Department at each Inova hospital with any questions.