Inova wants you to be aware of your rights and responsibilities as a patient. We believe your patient rights are important, and we will do everything possible to make sure that your rights are respected.
Overview of Patient Rights
While you are in our hospital, you have certain rights as a patient. You have the right to:
- Receive treatment regardless of your age, gender, race, national origin, language, religion, sexual orientation, disability or any other discrimination prohibited by law
- Know the names and titles of your healthcare team members
- Receive information in a language or manner you understand. This includes the right to interpreter services at no cost to you.
- Be informed about possible results of care, treatment and services, including unexpected results
- Be informed and involved in making healthcare decisions
- Agree to or refuse care, treatment and services
- Appropriate evaluation and management of pain
- Courteous and respectful care
- Be free from restraints of any form that are not medically necessary
- Receive visitors designated by the patient, including but not limited to, a spouse, a domestic partner (including same-sex domestic partner), another family member or a friend. Also included is the right to withdraw or deny such consent at any time.
- Be informed of the hospital’s practice that allows for the presence of a support individual unless it interferes with the rights of others, or is not recommended for medical reasons
- Have a family member or representative, and your physician, notified of your admission
- Prepare an advance directive to make certain your healthcare choices are followed if you are unable to communicate those choices to us
- Receive care in a safe setting, free of all forms of abuse or harassment
- A hospital setting that preserves dignity and contributes to a positive self-image
- Respect for your cultural and personal values, beliefs, and preferences, as well as an opportunity to take part in religious and other spiritual services
- Contact protective and advocacy services (Patient Relations phone number at Inova Fairfax Hospital: 703-776-3663)
- Expect that the hospital will protect your confidentiality and respect your privacy
- See your medical record; request amendments to your medical record; and request a list of persons or organizations to whom your health information was disclosed as determined by federal or state law
- Give permission to the recording or filming made for purposes other than identification, diagnosis or treatment. You also have the right to cancel this agreement.
- Agree or refuse to participate in research studies
- File a complaint and not be subject to discrimination, force, punishment or unreasonable interruption of care, treatment or services
- Have your hospital bill explained and receive information about financial help
As a patient, you are responsible for the following:
- Providing complete and accurate information about your health, including past illnesses, hospital stays, use of medications and other matters relating to your health
- Asking questions when you do not understand what you have been told about your care or what you are expected to do
- Following the care, service or treatment plan developed for you
- Telling your doctor if you believe you cannot follow through with your treatment plan and understanding the possible results if you decide not to follow the recommended treatment plan
- Providing the hospital with accurate contact and billing information
- Detailed knowledge of your health insurance coverage including deductibles, co-pays and network coverage
- Being considerate of other patients, staff and hospital property and following hospital rules and regulations. This applies to your visitors as well.
- Providing necessary information for insurance claims and to pay your bills or make arrangements for financial obligations in a timely manner
- Recognizing that the hospital cannot accept responsibility for any personal property not deposited in the hospital safe
Rights of Individuals with Disability
When serving our patients, our hospital continually strives to meet the objectives of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Virginians with Disabilities Act. If you encounter any physical or communication barrier during your time at our hospital, or if you believe you have been denied access to the hospital’s full array of services because of a disability, please contact the Compliance Department at 703-205-2337 or the patient relations department at 703-776-3663.
More information: Section 504 Notice, assistive devices, interpreter services at Inova, ADA Special Needs
If You Have Questions, Concerns or Comments
At Inova, we recognize the importance of effective communication between you and our dedicated healthcare team. We encourage you to ask questions and share concerns while you are in the hospital so that those who are caring for you can provide prompt, courteous solutions to any issues that may arise.
Additionally, the hospital’s patient representatives are available to help patients and families with problems, clarify hospital policies, and assist with disability access issues or other special needs. The Patient Relations program has a process to address all complaints and grievances. Patient representatives welcome the opportunity to assist you, and can be reached at 703-776-3663.
We hope you will allow us the opportunity to assist with any issues that may arise during your hospital stay. If you choose, you may also contact the Virginia Department of Health, Office of Licensure and Certification, 9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 401, Richmond, VA 23233, or call 800-955-1819. Additionally, you may contact the Office of Quality Monitoring, The Joint Commission, One Renaissance Blvd., Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181, or call 800-994-6610.
Download Our Patient Rights and Responsibilities Brochure
Comments or Concerns
If you have concerns or complaints about any part of your care at Inova, please feel free to speak with any manager or staff member on your unit. You may also contact the Patient Representative at 703-776-3663.