When you come to Inova for cardiac rehabilitation, you’re Safe@Inova. Our appointments are following strict safety guidelines. Learn More.
We offer both on-site appointments at our hospital locations and virtual options to meet your cardiovascular education and recovery needs.
Beginning April 19, 2021 the Inova Mount Vernon Hospital Cardiac Rehabilitation program will be temporarily closed. During this transition, patients may join the Inova Alexandria Hospital Cardiac Rehabilitation Program.
We appreciate your patience during this unprecedented time. To receive details on how to enroll, please contact any of our locations.
Inova Heart and Vascular Institute’s Cardiac Rehabilitation Programs are behavior and lifestyle management programs for adults with heart disease. The program begins in the hospital and continues on an outpatient basis. Our goal is to make your heart as healthy as possible through lifestyle management and behavior modification education. We offer cardiac rehabilitation at four convenient locations throughout Northern Virginia.
Benefits of Cardiac Rehabilitation
Cardiac rehabilitation can help you improve your:
- Blood pressure
- Cholesterol levels
- Diabetes management
- Flexibility and balance
- Lifestyle modification knowledge
- Nutritional plan for a heart-healthy diet
- Strength and endurance
- Stress/anxiety management
Who should have cardiac rehabilitation?
Anyone diagnosed with a heart condition or has undergone a cardiac procedure can participate in cardiac rehabilitation, including patients who have experienced:
- Chronic angina
- Coronary bypass surgery
- Heart attack (myocardial infarction)
- Heart failure
- Heart transplant
- Heart valve disease
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Irregular heart rhythms
- Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI)
- Ventricular Assist Devices (VAD/LVAD)
Inova's Cardiac Rehabilitation Programs include three stages:
- Inpatient Transition Care: During your hospitalization, a clinical team member will meet you and your family to:
- Explain the cardiac rehabilitation program, its benefits and the enrollment process
- Answer any questions you have about heart disease and initial activity guidelines
- Outpatient Secondary Prevention Program: Our clinical team will tailor an education and exercise program for you. You will learn about your heart condition and get the support to implement necessary lifestyle changes to decrease your risk for disease while improving your cardiovascular conditioning for work or recreational activities.
- Cardiac Wellness Program: Our clinical team can create a maintenance wellness program for patients who wish to continue supervised exercise in a supportive environment.
How can I enroll?
To learn more, please call your preferred location. A physician’s referral is required to enroll in the program. You may receive a physician's order during your hospitalization, or our cardiac rehabilitation team will contact your physician to obtain one.
Inova Heart and Vascular Institute offers educational opportunities to patients enrolled in cardiac rehabilitation. Lectures vary by location and seminars may include:
- Your Heart and How it Works
- Exercise and Your Heart
- Heart-Healthy Eating Guidelines
- Medication and Heart Health
- Stress Management
New Patient Intake Forms